Clear Pin Size Drainage From Incision After Implant Replacement? (photo)

Hi, I had breast implants on December 14, 2011. I got into a car accident one and a half months later, and my left implant had to be removed. My PS left the implant out until June 8, 2012 when I had surgery to replace it. I am not five weeks post op, and I noticed a couple days ago a tiny pin drop of clear drainage coming from the end of my incision line. I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide, and went and refiled a prescription of antibiotics my PS gave me. Should I be worried?

Fluid leaking from breast post op / perdida de liquido despues de cirugia de seno

+2

Having fluid leak from your breast can be disconcerting. Most of the time what you describe is probable not an issue.  You definitely need to follow up with your plastic surgeon to make sure it isn’t a problem.

Good luck and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD FACS

Experimentar perdida de liquido despues de una cirugia de senos puede ser desconcertante. La mayoria de las veces lo que se describe no es un problema. Definitivamente usted debe de consultarse con su cirujano  para asegurarse de que esto no sea un problema.

Suerte y gracias por la pregunta!

Incision issues following augmentation.

+1

Typical causes of drainage from an incision include sutures spitting, wound healing problems, or infections. The most concerning is to rule out infection, however the most common are issues with underlying sutures. Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Small holew

+1

I think this proably represents a suture so maybe your dovctor can just remove it.One always worries about infection.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Drainage from incision 5 weeks after surgery

+1

It's not unusual to have a small amount of clear drainage from an incision 5 weeks after surgery. This is still the early healing phase, and incisions will sometimes drain a little, especially when absorbable sutures are used. As the stitches dissolve, a little fluid will sometimes drain.

Local wound care and light dressings should be all you need. I suggest you keep all your appointments with your plastic surgeon and discuss this with him/her.  I wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Most likely related to suture but have your plastic surgeon keep a close eye on you.

+1

Your small amount of clear drainage from the incision line is likely related to a dissolvable suture.  Without any pain or redness it is unlikely an infection.  A pocket seroma may also present in similar fashion.  A seroma may develop if there is an ongoing inflammatory process.  This second possible diagnosis may lead to an infection so a close eye by your plastic surgeon is warranted.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Clear Pin Size Drainage From Incision

+1

The sutures we use sometimes do not dissolve like we want and will create and area of "irritation" at the incision and then drain like you describe. Antibiotics are fine but followup is more important to make sure things are going in the right direction.

Brett Edward Lehocky, MD
Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

Clear Pin Size Drainage From Incision After Implant Replacement?

+1

Best is to be seen by your PSs ASAP to determine if there is an issue. Most likely it is nothing but just be sure by the visit! 

Drainage from Incision Site

+1

It's not unusual to have a little drainage after surgery. I recommend getting in to see your surgeon though. Your PS may or may not detect any issues. If you run a fever or see the area get noticeably red then you may have an issue but at this time it appears to be normal.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Drainage From Incision After Implant Replacement

+1

From the time line the chances are that this is superficial drainage from the suture. If it is at the end of the incision, there is probably a knot present there that is the culprit. You don't mention whether you have talked or scheduled an appointment with your surgeon. Do that if you haven't. If this is from the suture, it may recur unless the suture is removed, and it is quite easy for your surgeon to do so.