Had Dysport Done On Wednesday and Forgot to Ask About Breast Feeding?

I had dysport injections done on Wednesday for the first time ever and totallyforgot to ask about breast feeding, after the procedure I went home and fed my three and a half month old, when I realise I didn't know if I could I looked all over the net and read so much stuff I feel physically sick that I may of hurt my child I have used formula to feed her for 48 hours now and not sure when I can start breast feeding again or should I stop Brest feeding her all together,please any help would be appreciated

Dysport and breast feeding

+4

Hi Shanny, 

Firstly poor you, I feel for you, this is a tough situation and one your practitioner should have made absolutely clear before injecting Btx-A. What is done is done however. The advice is to avoid ALL botulinum preparations in pregnancy and breast feeding (I have a cohort of preplanning pregnant patients who "stock up" on treatments before conception! ... I kid you not!). The reality is that probably thousands of patients fall accidentally pregnant whilst metabolising cosmetic botulinum and there are no reported cases of child harm or birth defects to date. My eldest son is testament to this fact! (did I just put this on the internet?!)

Enjoy your baby, he/she will give you much more to worry about as he/she grows up than a few injections.

Good luck!

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport and breastfeeding

+1

From here, I would advise you to refrain from any additional breastfeeding. Although there is no research to confirm that it may cause a problem, there is also no research to confirm that it cannot cause a problem. With that being said, it is best to completely avoid it for the safety of your child. I would not worry too much about any issues you think you may have caused at this time. I would recommend speaking with your physician and seeing what they advise. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport, Botox and Reloxin Not Injected in Pregnant or Breast-Feeding Women. Yet,no documented serious adverse effects witnessed

+1

Dear Writer, While Dysport, Botox and Reloxin Are Consistently Not Injected in Pregnant or Breast-Feeding Women, there are no proven documented serious adverse effects witnessed in the newborn or lactating baby when this injection has been inadvertently done during these states. This should not mean that this treatment is to be performed routinely in pregnant or lactating women. Rather, because the potential various effects on the baby are Not Known, this should Never be a common practice. My earlier statement serves to give you comfort in the sense that serious adverse events have not been reported to this date. I believe that continuing to pump your breast milk without giving it to the baby for one week, may eliminate most circulating toxin that may reach, via various paths, the breast milk. Feeding the baby formula during those days and then resuming breast-feeding may be acceptable, but I'd advise you to consult your pediatrician or lactation specialist as well. Best of luck and enjoy your baby!! 

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport and breastfeeding - not advised!

+1

Well, sorry for the bad news here, but you should not breastfeed, at all, while you have Dysport or Botox. We simply don't know how or if it goes into the breastmilk and what that could do to a developing child. It's simply not studied in full and we just don't know. You also can't do a "pump and dump" because Dysport metabolizes while it goes away, so it will be in your system for about 3-4 months. I'm sure this news is devastating, but your injector absolutely should have talked to you about this and you should have signed a consent form saying you understood this! Why that wasn't done I don't know, but you can't breastfeed. I'm sorry.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Breastfeeding and Neurotoxins

+1

It is not recommended to have Dysport or Botox while pregnant or breastfeeding.  The effects are unknown only because there are no studies on breastfeeding/pregnancy and neurotoxins.  I would just recommend you stop breastfeeding as a precaution.  Your injector should have taken a thorough history and advised you against this procedure until after you stopped breastfeeding.  Please try not to worry and enjoy your baby.  If you have further concerns you could advise your pediatrician of the situation and they can monitor.

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

We do not offer cosmetic botulinum toxin treatments to pregnant or breast feeding women.

+1

It is not recommended to have these treatments if you are pregnant or breast feeding.  While the dose that might get into breast milk would be quite small, that does not make it a safe practice.  My best advice to you at this point is to discuss the situation with your personal pediatrician and see what advice and recommendations they have for you at this point.  I agree with the other doctor that it is hard to understand why you were not asked if you were pregnant or breast feeding.  This should be routine in the essential assessment prior to a treatment.

Dysport

+1

It is not advisable to use a neurotoxin like dysport while breast feeding.

Did not the injector take a medical history ???, what type of injector, someone who wants the money only. An you should not take any new medication without checking with your pediatrician and the doctor giving the new medication