Would a Heyer-Pudenz Valve Interfere with Breast Augmentation?

When I was born, I was premature, and also had hydrocephaly. I have a Heyer-Pudenz valve since then and never had it removed since it didn't present any issues afterwards. Would this affect in having a breast augmentation? Thanks

Your Brain to Abdomen Shunt Should not affect ability to have breast augmentation

+2

Hi there-

As long as you communicate the presence of your shunt to your surgeon, the should be able to void it and provide you a safe and lovely breast augmentation.

Hydrocephalus Shunts and Breast Augmentation

+2

The catheter used to treat the hydrocephalus is generally not in the pathway of the breast implant incision or dissection. It should not have any affect on your breast augmentation procedure.

Brain Shunts do NOT Affect other Cosmetic Procedures

+2

Brain shunts allow excessive high brain fluid pressure tone relived by draining it into the abdominal cavity. They contain a one way valve which opens when the brain pressure exceeds a certain value. These shunt tubes run from the brain along the neck, between the breasts and enter the upper abdomen at the base of the rib cage. 

As long as your Plastic surgeon locates the path of the shunt he can plan to stay away from it and it will not interfere with your breast augmentation, Tummy Tuck etc.

Heyr-Pudenz Valve and Breast Augmentation

+1

As long as the path of the shunt is known and your surgeon plans to steer clear of this, it should not interfere with the ability to undergo breast augmentation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS