Tried to Lose Weight, But Can't: Will a Tummy Tuck Work?

I'm a 27 yr old mother of one, I'm 5"2 at 282lbs :( Right now it hurts to work out and it's very bothersome. I want to know if I can have the surgery so it can help me physically and mentally to lose the weight I need. Thanks :)

Tummy tuck and weight loss

+1
At your heoight and weight weight loss is highly recommended or if that fails then consideration for soem type of bariatric surgery.Weight loss surgery can be very effective and your insurance may pay for this in part.I would consider having a consultation with a bariatric surgeon to see what would work best for you.Dieting and exercise alone may not hold the final answer for you.Good luck in your journey.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck for Weight Loss

+1
Hi there, and thanks for your question. Congratulations on taking the first steps to a healthy lifestyle! Unfortunately, tummy tuck surgery isn't a good match for you at this juncture. Patients who are significantly overweight are at higher risk of certain complications, and the results of the surgery may not be satisfactory. Losing weight can be intimidating and difficult, but I recommend starting small. There's no need to strain yourself at the gym if it's uncomfortable to do so — you'll only lose motivation. Instead, try to incorporate regular walks or another kind of light activity into your daily routine and gradually work your way up to more intense exercise. Talk to your general practitioner about resources to support you on your weight loss journey, such as a nutrition program. Once your BMI is under 30, you may be a candidate for a tummy tuck. Best of luck to you.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Target weights for tummy tuck

+1
Thanks for sharing your question. 

In general tummy tuck is not a weight loss procedure, but a contour or shaping procedure to control extra skin and separation between stomach muscles that may occur with time or after pregnancy

Being close to a goal weight you are happy with and a BMI below 30 are good ways to determine if you may be a candidate. 

Stay motivated and you will be surprised at what you can achieve.

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

#TummyTuck with High BMI

+1
There are a few things that are known to make tummy tuck, and most surgeries, a higher risk. A high BMI is one of them. Additionally, a BMI of 35 or below, and ideally close to ideal body weight, allows better results and happier patients. When I see a patient with a BMI near 40 the discussion usually moves towards helping that person figure out how to get to a healthier weight without surgery. Spending money on a nutritionist and Personal Trainer are far more cost effective in the short term and likely to help your surgical outcome when the time comes as well. This is always a difficult conversation but the people I have worked with who have used it as a springboard for a healthier lifestyle are drastically better for it.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck surgery for weight loss?

+1
Tummy tucks are primarily to remove extra skin and repair a rectus diastasis (the separation between the abdominal wall muscles. It's true that some patients become more motivated to get in shape following this type of surgery, but you will get the best results if you are closer to your ideal body weight.  In addition, you will lower your risk for certain complications.    Some overweight people who suffer from rashes and irritation underneath the flap of overhanging abdominal skin do benefit from a medical procedure called a panniculectomy, and this can help get things "jump-started", but in general, it would be better and safer for you to lose weight before having abdominoplasty surgery.
Good luck - it's worth it for your health and your little one!
Dr. Michelle Spring

Michelle Spring, MD

Tummy tuck & weight-loss

+1
Is not a good idea that you have a tummy tuck at your current weight. The complications increase with people who have a body mass index greater than 30. Your body mass index is currently greater than 30. Tummy tuck is not a weight-loss procedure or a procedure to jumpstart weight loss. Please try to focus on weight-loss even if it requires the help of your family practitioner to help with lifestyle changes. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+1
  I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. Although you will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery at some point, it is not in your best interests to proceed now.  Having the procedure performed when you are overweight, exposes you to additional risk around the time of surgery and increases your risk that additional surgery may be necessary down the line for a multitude of reasons.  Unfortunately, some of the risks (such as deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) associated with surgery, at your current weight, can be life-threatening. 
The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. 
At this point, I would suggest that you  seek consultation with other professionals,  other than plastic surgeons.  Physicians who specialize in weight loss, nutritionists, personal trainers, and/or bariatric surgeons are professionals to consider.  
Having said this, there are some patients who despite all efforts, are not able to reach their long-term stable weight prior to undergoing abdominal wall contouring surgery. These patients benefit from operations such as panniculectomy ( which involves excision of the lower abdominal wall skin/adipose tissues.  For these patients, the panniculectomy operation may provide the patient a “jumpstart”  both physically and mentally (as he/she works towards achieving their final weight and health goals). 
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.