Hesitant about BA - Is it Safe?

I'm wanting a breast augmentation due to massive deflation after having children and breastfeeding (I've already had a lift) but am extremely hesitant after reading hundreds of horror stories online from women saying they became physically disabled after getting implants. How do plastic surgeons respond to these types of articles?

Breast Augmentation Is Safe

+1
Thanks for your question. As long as you are healthy and do not have a really strong family history of breast cancer, the procedure and the implants are perfectly safe. Choosing a qualified plastic surgeon will also go a long way toward ensuring your health and your results. Because you have already had a lift, it would help your plastic surgeon if you could provide him or her with a copy of the operative report from that procedure. It will help guide the surgeon toward the best and safest approach to adding implants. After a reasonably short recovery, you should be back to full ability. Remember that the implants are not supposed to last a lifetime, so you should expect to undergo some other procedure at some time in your life. Best wishes.

BBA

+1
See a BC PS in your area to discuss risks associated with the surgery.  You don't "need" this type of surgery.  It's your choice.  If you don't think it's safe, then don't have it.  

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Breast Augmentation

+1
Breast Augmentation is safe if done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) who has a lot of experience.  My patients health is our foremost concern.  You need to be honest with your surgeon if you have any health issues and taking any medications.  Be sure you find someone that you are comfortable with, and establish good communication.  Discuss you concerns and expectations at your consult.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Hesitant

+1
Hello.I understand your concern. I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and my patients health is my first and foremost concern. I am a breast cancer surviver and I opted for reconstructive surgery myself.  As you know with any surgery there is a risk involved.  My best advise is to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that you are comfortable with and make an appointment for a consultation. Your concerns and goals can be addressed and alleviated. I hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Christine Rodgers, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

+1
Hello!! Breast Augmentation is a safe procedure and I perform  at least 3 breast augmentations a week. With any surgery there are risks involved. It is important that you find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. It is important to research this procedure and follow the pre and post instructions given by your PS. It is also important that you are healthy and also explain your complete medical history so the doctor can make sure you are a candidate for Breast Augmentation. 

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Is it safe?

+1

Following the breast implant scare of the 1990ies, these devices have be studied more extensively than any other medical devices. None of the illnesses alleged to have been caused by implants were any more common in women who had received breast implants than in women matched for age who had never had breast surgery. 

The commonest risks are minor and cosmetic and are not health threatening. In a breast augmentation centered practice, I know of no patients of mine who have developed any of these illnesses after breast surgery, and that is true of colleagues with whom I have discussed this matter. 

Best info will come during an in person consultation. WIth that recommendation, you can continue to investigate and make your own decision. 

I should add that in many patients who have enough excess fat tissue, fat grafting may be an alternative method of enlargement.

All the best. 

Breast aug

+1

I think all surgeries, plastic or non plastic ones carry some risk or complications. Breast implants have been studied and review by a lot of professionals that have had these same expectations in order to prevent or make them better. I can honestly tell you that in my experience, patients who've had the BA are living happy and with no complications. Although many people have had complications like you say, I believe that doing research and getting a certified PS reduces the risk in many ways.

Good luck,
Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Implant safety

+1
I believe breast augmentation is safe or I wouldn't even do them.  Breast implants have been studied extensively over the past few decades and have been found safe.  I have never known of a patient becoming "physically disabled" after having implants and can not even see how that could happen.  I have done over 3000 cases myself.  One nice thing about implants is that if for some reason you decided you did not want them you can always have them removed.  

Gary Hall,MD 

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation safety

+1
If you are healthy, breast augmentation is a safe procedure.  Implants (both saline and silicone) implants are safe FDA approved medical devices.  In fact, they are the most studied and regulated medical devices in all of medicine.  But no medical device, including implants, lasts forever.  There are small risks for scar tissue formation (Capsular contracture), implant rupture, and malposition.   There are limitations cosmetically on what  can be achieved.   Revision surgery may be necessary.   Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Is Breast Augmentation Safe?

+1
It is understandable to be hesitant before having a breast Augmentation.  Considering the over hyped media coverage and the horror stories, a concern about the procedure is normal.  After performing approximately 1,500 of these procedures, I feel that technically it is one of the easiest procedures that I routinely do.  The questions of safety  arise because of potential secondary problems with the implant. Over the past 2 years there has been a vast improvement in the reliability of these implants. The main concerns have been deflation problems with either the saline or silicone implants and the local scarring that can occur around all implants.
In my estimation the current Silicone and the Saline implants will become obsolete very shortly. The new high tension gel implant (gummy bear)  is my implant of choice because:
1.It is very life like when compared to the silicone implant and the unnatural saline implant.
2.In the event of a rare rupture, the silicone does not leak into the patients tissue with the high tension gel implant. 
3.Some studies indicate that the possible scarring, that can occur, around the new implant is markedly reduced.
So my recommendations would be to find a experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to perform the procedure and seriously consider the High Tension Gel Implant(Sientra). I have been using them for the past year and don't plan on ever going back to the traditional gel filled implant or the Saline Implant.   Good Luck  

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon