Is Having a Herpes Outbreak a Reason to Delay Surgery for Fat Transfer?

Should I delay my fat transfer surgery if I'm having a herpes outbreak in the buttock area where the fat will be transfered?

A herpes outbreak IS a reason to delay surgery

+2

YES! Absolutely! Of course! Why take a risk, chance on anything going wrong? I would delay your surgery, start on anti viral meds and recovery over the next 2 to 4 weeks.

From MIAMI

A Herpes infection SHOULD Delay an Elective Surgery

+2

Every surgery has risks. While some risks are unforeseeable and therefore unavoidable occasionally, such as in your case, we are confronted with avoidable risk. There is NO reason to risk serious infection by operating on you while you are actively infected in the area of the surgery. That would be taking on a totally unnecessary risks which would go away if the operation was delayed until after the infection has resolved.

Fat Transfer with Active Herpetic Breakout...Not a Good Idea

+2

Hi Truth,

Delay your fat transfer surgery until your active herpetic breakout is resolved. No need to take the risk of the spread of infection in a purely cosmetic procedure. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Reason to postpone fat transfer

+2

Herpes infection on the face is definitely a reason to postpone your Facial fat Grafting. This procedure is very safe and infections are unlikely but you wan to do everything you can to make sure you don't get an infection.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Fat injections

+2

A fever blister, or herpes, can cause a secondary colonization of bacteria on the skin which might infect the fat, even if the surgical site is not right on the sore. It is best to wait for the sore to heal and no crust remain prior to doing the procedure.

Ronald Shelton, MD