Repeated Hernias After RNY Gastric Bypass and Tummy Tuck

I had open RNY in Dec of '02. 18 months later in Aug. of '04 I had my first PS, a adominoplasty with hernia repair. Then repair again in June of '05, again in Jan. of '07 and again in Dec. of '08. Now again in April of '10 I have two huge hernias. Three of those surgeries the doc used Alloderm and the hernias have all re-appeared again in just slightly different areas but near the initial RNY incision area. The same doctor has performed all of the surgeries. Now he wants to try a synthetic mesh. What's going on? Do I need a new surgeon?

Recurrent Ventral Hernia Management

+1

Without examining you and your medical record it is impossible to tell you the cause of your hernias coming back. Many processes are associated with the recurrences poor nutrition, smoking, chronic cough, poor thinned tissues, certain underlying disease processes among many others.

You should collect ALL your medical records and see a surgeon who is experienced in abdominal wall reconstruction. While a mesh MAY be your only option it is far better to figure out why the other operations failed before adding another operation to this list.

Recurrent hernia formation

+1

Recurrent hernias may be due to a variety of reasons associeated with your medical condition. Dr. Gregory Dumanian in Chicago is experienced with complex abdominal wall reconstructions and recurrent hernias in high risk individuals.