Could It Be a Hernia?

I had a tummy tuck with muscle repair in July 2012. I have been exercising regularly with no problems. I recently went on a run and felt a tearing sensation in my lower abdomen, right where the lowest part of my incision is above my pubic bone. When I got home, I saw that a large bruise had developed in the area and I can feel a bump. I have an appointment already scheduled. Is it possible that the bump is something else? I'm no longer in any pain. If it is a hernia, what will happen?

Hernia unlikely after an abdominoplasty but not out of the question.

+1

The tear and resolving bump is probably a small hematoma or phlegmon.  That's only a guess but a visit to your surgeon should resolve the dilemma.

Hernia

+1

this could be a hernia but you need to be examined. it could also be your diastasis repair that has come apart.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Pain and lump in abdomen after tummy tuck

+1

The tearing and bruising indicate that something inside has torn.  A hernia is less likely than a torn scar band.  If this does not resolve quickly you may need an ultrasound or CT scan to define the anatomy.  It would not be unheard of to develop a fluid collection that has to be drained.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Could It Be a Hernia

+1

Without a photo, or better yet a physical exam, it is hard to guess what this may be. The bump could be a hernia, or a hematoma, or any number of other things of lower likelihood. 

You are doing the right thing by seeing your surgeon. Then we can all stop guessing! Best wishes.