Hernia Repair, Tummy Tuck and Liposuction Combined - Good Idea?

I have an umbilicial hernia and would like to have it removed along with a tummy tuck. However, the Surgeon also suggested that I have a small amount of fat removed from my top abdomen. I have a 36" waist but fit into 30" pants. Is it a good idea for me to have all three procedures at the same time?

Combining Tummy Tuck, Umbilical Hernia repair and Upper Tummy Liposuction

+2

There is controversy among Plastic surgeons on the safety of combining liposuction with a Full Tummy Tuck. We know that it is safe to cut or suction the fat above a layer known as Scarpa's fascia (because the horizontal blood vessels supplying the skin are just above it). So - as long as the fat removal stays ONLY below Scarpa's fascia and avoids the vertical vessels that leave the six pack muscles and go straight up into the skin (perforators) - combining Abdominoplasty with Liposuction is safe. BUT - the complications begin when injuries to these vessels happens because these vessels supply the oxygen to the lower tummy skin. As a result, many plastic surgeons prefer NOT to risk damaging them with liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck.

We commonly fix umbilical hernias at the same time as tummy tucks. The only catch is that in the process of repairing a hernia that is stuck to the side of the belly button talk we partially remove some of the belly button's blood supply. In some cases, this repair MAY end up with partial or complete death of the belly button. This is NOT common and a new belly button can be constructed by your Plastic surgeon in the uncommon situation this happens.