Will Hernia Repair with Mesh Affect Tummy Tuck In Future

I am considering fixing my umbilical hernia/epigastric hernia now via a general surgeon who wants to use mesh. Will this affect me if I decide to have my rectus diastisis (causing lower belly bulge and back/glute pain) fixed via full abdominoplasty by a PS a year later? Eventually I would like to be able to train my abs again conventionally to regain my 6pack, but for now the hernia repair is priority I think. I am extremely fit and athletic and not overweight without extra body fat right now

Hernia repair with mesh before Tummy Tuck

+1

You can have the hernia repair with or without mesh and it won't make a difference. The mesh is routinely placed inside the abdominal wall and will simply be tucked in further when you have the plication. if you are sure that you are going to have the tummy tuck within a year or so, you probably don't need the mesh, because again, the whole area is going to be reinforced with the plication. FYI, sometimes you can have some healing problems after the tummy tuck when a hernia has been done because the circulation to the navel has been disrupted.

Hernia Repair and Tummy Tuck in Future?

+1

If the mesh is placed on top of the  abdominal wall muscle it may “interfere” with the tummy tuck surgery in the future. You should also ask your general surgeon where he/she plans to make the incision to approach the hernia repair.

It is unfortunate that you cannot have both procedures done at the same time (hernia repair and tummy tuck surgery can be performed at the same time by a well experienced plastic surgeon)-   this combination surgery would be the way I would want to have it done if I were in your position.