Is a Hernia Repair Going to Prevent Me from Having a Second Child/cause Complications During Pregnancy?

I am due for paraumbilical hernia repair but would like to have a second baby. What are the risks of being pregnant after having a hernia repair with / without mesh /with metal pins ? My hernia hurts a lot when I carry heavy loads and the lump sticks out more. But it settles after a few hours. Is it safer to be pregnant with the hernia as it is or with the hernia repaired? Please help!

+1

A symptomatic hernia is usually repaired in a young, healthy person such as yourself.  Hernia repair, depending upon size and location, can be repaired in a variety of ways with a variety of materials.  I would discuss the repair with a general surgeon to discuss your concerns with the consideration that you will be having further pregnancies.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

If you have pain now with the hernia, complications are more likely than if you had no pain, and pregnancy can further add to the risk of complications leading to emergency surgery.

Better to have this fixed before you become pregnant again. Wiser to discuss this with a hernia surgeon or obstetrician than with a plastic surgeon! All the best.