I Have a Hernia, & Muscle Damage After Colon Resection Surgery with a Bulging Stomach. Candidate For Lipo/TT?

I am 75 yrs old. In otherwise good health. Would I be a candiate for liposuction or tummy tuck with hernia repair

Tummy Tuck/Liposuction after Previous Abdominal Surgery

+1

If the “bulging” of your abdomen is just fat without any loose skin, then you could consider Liposuction. This will, however, do nothing to repair the hernia or muscle problem. If, however, you have loose skin, then an abdominoplasty would probably be your best choice. The hernia and any other muscle repair could be done at the same time. As long as you are in good health and are cleared by your doctor, you should do well.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after colon surgery

+1

Depends on how large the hernia is.

• If the hernia is big - this can be difficult surgery. It might be best to do the tummy tuck later.
  • If the hernia is small, it is reasonable to combine it with a tummy tuck.

My chief concern for you - how long ago was the colon surgery? If it was recent, keep your second operation short to minimize the risk of complications.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

75 year old abdominoplasty candidate

+1

Without photos and an examination, it would be impossible to make anything other than a general statement as to your suitability for surgery.  Previous abdominal surgery would complicate the operation in terms of scar adhesions.  One can certainly expect the skin of a 75 year old to have more laxity and be more fragile than that of a 35 year old.  All patients undergoing abdominoplasty are required to have blood testing and patients over 40 must have medical clearance from their internists as well.  At this point, you should discuss the surgery with your internist to ascertain whether he/she will clear you for elective surgery and, if so, under what conditions.  If yes, then you should see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation wtih respect to the procedure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Good Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

+1

The best candidates for tummy tuck surgery are patients who have reached a long-term stable weight,  who are medically, psychologically, socially and financially stable,  and who have  a positive “support system" to assist with perioperative care.  
If you meet  (at least the majority) of these criteria, the best place to start would be with consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons.  Your plastic surgeon will likely ask that you seek “medical clearance"  from the family practitioner or internist who knows you best.