Hernia and Round Stomach?

I was wondering If I Could Repair my Hernia and get them to reduce the Roundness of My Tummy at the same time??? What type of Doctor would I need to see??? I suffered a Stroke two years ago and have had a Few blood clots am I kinda stuck with this body???n I'm only 30 I have 1 Child and My Husband and I are done with Having Kids Any Responses are welcomed.~Thank You

Hernia, Loose Abdominal Wall Repair with a History of Blood Clots

+1

The hernia can be fixed at the same time as improving the abdominal contour.  Some plastic surgeons perform hernia repairs, and some do not.  Some ask the general surgeon to repair the hernia

The history of clots and the stroke needs to be worked up an internal medicine doctor or hematologist or neurologist.  Specific recommendations need to be made by one or several of these specialists.  Based upon their recommendations, surgery may be considered.

Hernia repair and cosmetic abdominal surgery.

+1

Hernias may be repaired at the same time as tummy tucks. However, caution is needed in patients with coagulation disorders particularly in combination abdominal procedures. The risks of deep vein thromboses and pulmonary emboli are elevated in abdominoplasties and patients with a history of a clotting disorder have a significantly higher risk. Thorough consultations with a general surgeon, plastic surgeon, and a hematologist are recommended. Your individual factors may preclude you from having the cosmetic portion of the procedure performed.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1

You would probably do well with a tummy tuck.  Given your history of stroke and blood clots you should proceed with caution.  You should have  had a workup for your clotting disorder or need that prior to surgery.  You should seek out the opinion of PS to see what can be accomplished.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hernia, Tummy Tuck, Stroke and Blood Clots...What to Do? Ask Dr Ellen

+1

Hello Tatiana,

These are GREAT questions- let's prioritize the issues:

1.  THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE IS THE BLOOD CLOT HISTORY

Be sure to see a Hematologist and have clearly diagnosed the cause of your multiple blood clots.  It sounds as though this could also have been the cause of your stroke.  You are a very young woman/mother/wife and given your medical history, are at a high risk for another blood clot or complication (stroke) if this matter is left undiagnosed or untreated.  

* a great looking tummy tuck is meaningless if you can not enjoy it due to a blood clot, complication or stroke

2.  Hernias and tummy tucks are often done at the same time

3.  The shape of your tummy can be changed with a tummy tuck

First things first- get all of the medical issues safely resolved and only then explore body sculpting options.

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Combination Hernia repair and Abdominoplasty?

+1

We commonly do hernia repairs in combination with tummy tucks or abdominoplasty.  This is not a problem in and of itself.  Depending on the type of hernia, we work with a general surgeon if it is a complicated hernia.  This can be done in the same setting.  Patients with a potential for blood clots are at higher risk for blood clots with abdominoplasty.  This needs to be worked up with a hematologist to see why you have blood clots.  You may need to be a blood thinning medications after the procedure.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Hernia Repair & Tummy Tuck Can Be Combined.

+1
Thank you for your question.  Having a stroke and blood clots around childbirth at a young age suggests you may have a previously undiagnosed blood clotting disorder.  Pregnancy in and of itself can also cause blood clots.  You will need to be evaluated by a Hematologist for further testing prior to any elective procedure.  This evaluation will help us to understand the cause of your clotting problem and how to prevent in in the future.  Tummy tucks combined with another procedure does have a risk of postoperatie blood clots, so prevention will be important .  With appropriate managment, you should be able to undergo this procedure safely and improve your body contour.  Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

You are not stuck with your body. In our practice we need a clearance and blood work to determine whether you’re a good candidate for a tummy tuck or Liposuction. Without an exam we cannot advice on what you would benefit from the best. Make sure you go to Certified PS and that they do surgery in a safe Environment using certified anesthesiologist.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Hernia and Round Stomach

+1

Without some more info about your particular abdominal contour (especially photos) it is not possible to give too useful of a response. It is quite common to  do tummy tuck and hernia repair at the same time. Sometimes this is done by a plastic surgeon, sometimes by a plastic surgeon and a general surgeon, the latter to fix the hernia.

The largest risk to health after tummy tuck is blood clots, and having had one already magnifies the risk. If you are a candidate for such surgery you may need to take blood thinners after the surgery. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Although I cannot provide you with precise advice without much more information, I would not necessarily say that you are “stuck with this body”. Prior to undergoing elective surgery, it would be wise for you to seek a medical workup to determine the safety of any planned procedure. This work up  should include a hematologic evaluation to determine your risk for additional “clots". 

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who will be in the best position to evaluate the areas of concern.  Generally speaking, body contouring operations are best done when patients have achieved a long-term stable weight.