Lift With Implants, Have Encapsulation of the L Implant?

BL with saline implants 06/13/12, I felt something was wrong with the left one all summer. PS 08/29/12 said obsessing (summing it up). At 6 month check up I was told I have an encapsulation in the L implant. I feel like we could have done something a long time ago to help prevent this - now I have to pay another 2650 for fixing that one or 4200 to go bigger. I did everything - high doses of Vit E, massage, singulair, tons of vitamins - Is there anything else I can do to help correct this?

Encapsulation of implants following breast augmentation.

+2

Thanks for your question.  Unfortunately there are times when despite everything you have done you may still go on to develop an encapsulation.  It sounds like you were doing everything correctly.  I'm sorry you had this complication because I know how frustrating it can be when it occurs in patients.  Make sure you discuss things at length with your surgeon prior to proceeding with any further surgery.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture Recurrence Prevention

+1

The implants should be changed and a total capsulectomy (anterior and posterior portions) should be performed.  Beyond that, there is little to do to prevent recurrence on your part.

Encapsulation

+1

Capsular contracture remains the primary cause of frustration to patients and to their surgeons. It does sound like you and your surgeon have gone through all the non-operative steps to try to treat this, and apparently without success. 

Despite massage, vitamin E, singulair, we all continue to see patients with contractures. They are not completely preventable. Even surgical treatment   does not guarantee resolution of this problem. Be sure to discuss all the pros and cons, and the techniques with your surgeon before embarking upon your next procedure. Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

What causes Implant Encapsulation?

+1

Unfortunately we do not fully understand what causes implant hardness or what we call encapsulation, but you have done everything possible to prevent it. Have a long discussion with your surgeon about how to best approach this problem before you proceed with another surgery, there are some things available these days which may help to perform during surgery, good luck.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

There is no evidence that massage, Vit E, Accolate, or anything else has an effect on capsular contracture.

+1

In spite of your dedicated use of various modalities, capsular contracture has occurred.  There is no evidence that anything, medical or physical, reduces the incidence of capsular contracture.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm

Encapsulation after breast surgery

+1

encapsulation after breast surgery

• sorry,, this can happen despite all efforts
  • you've done all of the basics including meds
  • consider surgery but don't go bigger

Sometimes Capsular Contraction is Unavoidable.

+1

Hi Julie, I am sorry this has happened to you.  Sounds like your plastic surgeon has done everything they could to prevent this, but has happened anyway.  Sometimes small, subclinical things (too small to diagnosis) can cause this as well, such as small amount of bleeding in the breast pocket that could occur anytime after surgery.  Sometimes it is unexplainable.  Best treatment at this point is to remove the capsule and replace the implant.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture Is Uncommon But Not Completely Preventable

+1

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry that your are having this problem.  Unfortunately, capsular contracture is not completely avoidable or preventable when everything is done perfectly.  There are some things that can be done at surgery such as using a no touch technique with powder free gloves, putting the implants under the muscle, and using saline implants.   Once all of these things have been done, then it is up to your body and its healing tendencies.  If you have a tendency to get capsular contracture, then it cannot be completely prevented.  Massage, external ultrasound, vitamins and singulair have all been used with out strong scientific support.  At this point the only additional thing you can do is to switch to a textured implant.  Best wishes!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

+1

Unfortunately there was nothing that could have been done to prevent it from happening. Sometimes it just does.  Removing the capsule and changing the implant may be the best solution.

Breast Augmentation and Breast Implant Encapsulation?

+1

I am sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced after breast augmentation surgery. Breast implant encapsulation can be very frustrating to both patient and surgeon. Based on your description, I think that you  and your plastic surgeon did all that could be done to help prevent worsening of the breast implant encapsulation.  Unfortunately,  despite you “feeling something was wrong” earlier,  the diagnosis may not be clear for several months.

At this point, it sounds like you may benefit from surgical intervention (capsulectomy/capsulotomy).  Hopefully with this intervention and continued efforts ( that you well describe),  you will not experience a recurrence and be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.