Encapsulation and Going Bigger?

I posted a question regarding the encapsulation of my L Breast Implant (done 06/13/12) one doctor stated he would not opt to go bigger? Can I ask why? I have a choice either fix the encapsulation or go bigger if I want to for a little more money. Is there a medical risk or something I need to know?

Encapsulation and Going Bigger after Breast Augmentation

+1

Moving to a larger implant after encapsulation is not contraindicated if total capsulectomies or a replaning procedure is done.  It is hard to say if a larger implant would fit your chest wall, and you should discuss these issues with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Can I receive large implants at the same time as treatment of Encapsulation?

+1

Hello Julie,  Thank you for your question.  While you can certainly get a larger implant at the time of a capsulectomy, you should talk with your surgeon of the risks of going the size you would like. If you are a good candidate for the size you want, then you should be a good candidate for that implant at the time of capsulectomy, assuming there are no other problems.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Implant size is not a risk factor in the development of a capsular contracture

+1

There are many reasons that women develop a capsular contracture and is not unusual to develop the condition on only one side.  The size of the implant used is not a particular risk factor in the development of a capsular contracture.  

Encapsulation and implants

+1

I think it depends upon the situation.  Encapsulation needs to be treated and usually the implant has to be exchanged. Going to a much larger implant can lead to earlier sagging, etc.. as it would for all individuals over time.

Breast Implant Encapsulation; Going Bigger?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced after breast augmentation surgery. Assuming, larger breast implants can be used safely ( after measurements/dimensional planning),  I see no reason why you could not have larger breasts implants placed at the time of surgery for treatment of breast encapsulation.

Options in treating breast capsular contractions

+1

Hi Julie,

Tips for you to know:

• there are various severities of capsular contractors and the treatment can vary based on the severity
  • depending on the type of implant in place, it may need to be replaced due to a leak, problem related to the capsule or personal choice
  • if the decision is to go to a bigger implant, that usually means that BOTH implants need to be replaced, greater expense
  • issues that may go against choosing a larger implant include:

1. very thick capsule that requires complete removal, leaving little soft 

soft tissue coverage over the new implant or

2.very little remaining breast tissue to cover a larger implant

In either case,  fragile soft tissue covering a larger implant is at higher risk for wound healing problems and further complication, potentially requiring repeated breast surgeries with less satisfying outcomes

Thanks for asking!

Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Encapsulation and Going Bigger?

+1

You would have to ask the doctor who so advised. Unless your current implants are as large as  your native breast tissue will permit, I don't see why you couldn't opt for larger implants. In making over the internet suggestions it would be helpful to see photos or at least have some measurements, in particular breast width. With this info you would be more likely to get useful suggestions.

Thanks and best wishes.