According to Hering's Law How Likely Is One Of My Eyelids To Droop After Surgery?

My surgeon did the neo eye drop test on my LEFT eye and noticed that in the first 5-10 minutes after the drop, my LEFT eyelid went up to a position higher than my right eyelid. It looked like my right eyelid had minor ptosis. Then after another 5 minutes, the LEFT eyelid relaxed a bit and the two lids looked more even. Due to the observation, my surgeon warned me about the hering's law and said my right eyelid may droop after unilateral repair. How likely is it to happen based on my test result?

The test does not lie

+1

It sounds like you are seeing a well informed and thorough physician who is properly evaluating you for ptosis surgery.  Based on what you have written, if the correction of your LEFT lid is unmaksing minor ptosis in yur RIGHT lid, you should consider having both done.  If you are still unsure, you can always proceed with the LEFT lid first, then see how the RIGHT one does, understanding that there is a good chance you will end up needing surgery on the RIGHT as well.  You should feel confident in the information your surgeon is giving you.  

Hering's Law

+1

First, I want to commend your physician.  This is EXACTLY what I would have done to help evaluate your ptosis.  Unmasking a possible SUBTLE ptosis on the less droopy side is always an uncertainty, and there simply is no guarantee after ptosis repair that the eyes would match perfectly.  I think you cannot find an answer to your question on this or on any other forum and that your best choice is to go with your doctor's recommendations, based on his/her experience.  If you fix the more droopy side only, yes there is a chance that the other side will look droopy postoperatively and will then require ptosis repair but there is no guarantee that you will have perfect symmetry if your doctor performs bilateral ptosis repair, greater on the more droopy side, either.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon