No Herbal or Dietary Supplements Before Septo/rhinoplasty?

At my Pre-Op appointment I was told to stop taking herbal and dietary supplements before my surgery... I'm kind of confused because I am super active and I do take the following supplements: - Protein powder (for post-workouts or meal replacements) - Amino acid powder (for during workout) - Fat Burners - and other sources of BCAA's - L-Glutamine - Green Tea capsules Should I stop taking all of these ??? I know I shouldn't take vitamin E because it thins the blood but I'm just confused on t

Stop Supplements 10 days before

+1

About 10 days before and 10 days after surgery, it is advised that you stop all herbal supplements and NSAIDS like aspirin  They can interfere with anesthesia and bleeding. However, protein powder should be okay for meal replacements, as long as it does not include any other supplements.

Pre operative instructions

+1

I also tell my patients to stop all over the counter medications, supplements, and herbals.  It makes the instructions much simpler to follow.  You can do without the supplements for a few weeks without any problems.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Why Can't I Take My Herbal and Dietary Supplements Before My Rhinoplasty?

+1

Hi BR,

Don't be confused, be happy.  You will be fine if you stop your supplements for two weeks before your surgery and resume them about 5 to 7 days after.  There are possible adverse reactions with anesthesia and supplements, not worth the "extra" boost for your active lifestyle.  You will still be surprisingly active (except for the week after surgery).  Relax and enjoy your new nose.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Important to stop dietary supplements before surgery

+1

It is important to stop aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E and all herbal supplements prior to surgery. Many of these  or herbal supplements containing compounds it can interfere with bleeding times and anesthesia. It is best to avoid all of these compounds 2 weeks before  and 2 weeks after surgery to so as to allow good healing. The last thing that you want have after septoplasty is a nosebleed directly related to herbal supplements.

Herbal supplements to avoid before surgery

+1

There are certain herbal supplements that can increase the risk of perioperative and postoperative bleeding. These are the "Four G's" of highly concentrated supplements which include, Ginko biloba, Garlic, Ginger, and Ginseng. We tell all of our patients to discontinue these high dose supplements at least 10 days prior to surgery. Normal dietary intake of these foods and herbs, however, do not cause excessive bleeding. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Gregory Park, MD

+1

The reason why this recommendation was made is that many of these supplements contain ingredients about which little is known.  It is much safer to stop all of them.  Having said that, the fat burners notoriously have a laundry list of ingredients.  If the protein powder only contains protein then this probably OK.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA