Will 500-550 High Profile Silicone Implants Fit my Figure?

Hello I'm 30yrs old, I stand 5'6" and I weigh 150lbs, my current bust size is 34B. I desire a full D. Went to a consultation Dr told me I have thick breast tissue and any type of implant will look great on me. We started at 425cc mod plus but I wanted to go bigger, Dr said if I go bigger I would have to go to high profile because a bigger mod plus would be too wide for my chest. I tried 475cc & 500cc and I still want bigger. I dnt kno what to do at this point cus I dnt wanna go too too big.

Larger high profile breast implants

+4

You should trust your plastic surgeon.  It is easy to get excited about surgery and desire implants that are very large, but this may create more problems for you in the future.  

Implant size - how big is too big?

+4
Your breast measurements would be helpful, specifically the width of your breast. The implant should be slightly more narrow than your breast. If the implant is too large, it will fall outside of your natural breast tissue and potentially look more fake and feel far out to the sides.
The moderate plus 500ml implant is around 14cm wide. The high profile is around 13cm, and the ultra high (sometimes called full) is around 12cm. The narrower the style of the implant, the more it sticks out from the chest. If your breast skin is not relaxed enough to accommodate the larger implant, you could be at risk for stretch marks, sensation changes, and accelerated breast sag.
You can avoid complications by working with your surgeon to pick a safe size that will still give you the larger breast you want.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

500 to 550 cc Implants Will They Fit

+3

If you are a full B and want to go to a full D, 400 cc in the average woman will accomplish this.  However, trying on the sizers and getting feedback from your surgeon is far more accurate.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Implant Selection Process

+2

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Cup Size Following Implants - Get The Facts Here

+1

The question of breast implant size is always difficult for prospective breast augmentation patients. For this reason, multiple approaches are utilized to make this determination pre-operatively. These include reviewing magazine photographs, external sizers and recently the 3D Vectra computer imager to name a few.

Even when tremendous care is taken pre-operatively to determine breast size, the final decision needs to be made in the operating room by the surgeon. At this point, an assessment can be made regarding how the patient’s breast tissue interacts with the breast implant. Occasionally, obtaining a specific size does not allow the surgeon to meet the patients other aesthetic goals. For this reason, locking into a specific size isn’t always a good idea. Results are often better when a surgeon has the ability to make adjustments in the operating room.

It’s also important to realize that for many patients, a 50cc difference is less than four tablespoons which is spread out in three dimensions over the implant.

In your case, I think it’s important to thoroughly discuss your aesthetic goals with your surgeon. Make sure he has the latitude to do what’s best for you in the operating room so he can meet your aesthetic goals. It’s important that you have an approximate idea of the breast implant size that you are considering, but don’t become married to an absolute number. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Is 500-550 too big? 5'6, 150lbs

+1

At first glance and without an exam I would say you are getting into a pretty large implant. Larger implants are heavier and place significant stress on the skin. Further they can require a lift sooner than another patient with a smaller implant. Your height and weight seems like your chest wall can tolerate that size. For most women I think that would be too big, but this is a very individualized process.  Rather than focusing on the type of implant profile or the number of cc's or bra cup size (with is inaccurate and manufacturer dependent), I would recommend you communicate very clearly your expectations and desires. Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present. Based on the limited information you have given your results are achievable. In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing system in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon. Good luck on your surgery!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Choosing implants

+1

Hello. The most important factors for determining the size of implants that could be used on a patient include width of the base of the breast, the size of your thorax and the amount of breast tissue and skin you have. Once a surgeon has this information he could better educate you on what type of implants would work best for you.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Breast implant profiles and volumes

+1

Part of the art of doing breast augmentation is choosing the right profile and the right volume implant for the woman undergoing the surgery.  It's pretty impossible for the woman to make that decision by herself because she really has no frame of reference.  Most surgeons who do much breast augmentation have developed a pretty good 'eye' for this.  Matching the implant width to the width of the breast is usually a good place to start.  The profile of the implant chosen often is determined by the width of the breast coupled with what degree of change the woman wants to see.  The more change she wants, the higher the profile, in my experience.  For a given width breast implant, the higher the profile chosen means the more volume that may be placed.  Personally, I'm not a fan of 500 cc implants for a first-time breast augmentation.  In my practice it's pretty uncommon to place more than 450 cc's.  Remember that larger implants over time may lead to larger problems.  The tissues stretch a lot more and they thin out.  A 450 cc implant probably weighs about a pound, so you'd be adding at least two pounds of stress to your neck and your back.  While that may not mean much at age 30, at age 50 it is likely to become a problem.  So, it always comes down to blending what type of result you want in the short term (first 3 years) and the long term (10 years and more) with the trade-offs you are willing to accept.  Women tend to be really concerned about the profile, but if you choose a surgeon with a lot of experience with augmentation, that surgeon should be able to help guide you safely through the process and to a result you are likely to love (short term AND long term!).

Kelly R. Kunkel, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

IMPLANT SIZE

+1

It sounds like your plastic surgeon is looking out for your best interests.  Without measurements and photos it is not possible to provide an accurate recommendation.  Bigger is not better and may lead to more problems down the road.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Implant appropriate for me?

+1

It is difficult to tell you what would be best for you without an exam.  Best to review this with your surgeon.