Hemoglobin Too Low?

I had traditional liposuction 7 days ago on my upper arms, trunk, inner/outer thighs, and knees. My hemoglobin on day 3 was 5.9. I felt like I was dying. They suggested to eat high amounts of protein along with iron and vitamins to get it up. Today it was checked again at 6.8. They don't seem concerned, but I know the normal is 12 and I'm way below that. Should I contact my primary care doctor about this, or just follow the orders of taking a multi vitamin, iron, and lots and lots of protein?

Low Hemoglobin after Liposuction

+1

If the hemoglobin is less than 8 and you are symptomatic it is reasonable to consider a blood transfusion.  However, your plastic surgeon and medical doctor are in a better position to evaluate this for you.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Blood Loss after Liposuction

+1

Dear LIturner.  If you have symptoms of anemia, or low blood, such as dizziness, shortness of breath, weakness, chest pain , etc.., you may need a blood transfusion, in which case your plastic surgeon can admit you to the hospital and arrange for this.  In absence of above symptoms, as long as you  are taking in enough fluid, producing urine, and  your hemoglobin is heading the right direction (up), check your hemoglobin every 2-3 days and you should be ok.  Also, eat lots of green leafy vegetables, specially spinach.   Best wishes

Robert Morgan Davoudi, MD

Low hemoglobin

+1

Your hemoglobin is very low. Was it low before surgery?  There are many unknowns in a forum like this. I think it is best for you to follow with your doctor very closely and that includes your medical doctor or hematologist.

Low Hemoglobin after Lipo

+1

Your hemoglobin levels are indeed low and it is reasonable for you to have been worried about this. Such anemia is unusual after plastic surgery.

Your levels are climbing, and this climb can be expected to be slow but persistent.  If you are otherwise healthy and remain asymptomatic (dizziness, weakness, high heart rate) then your physician will likely ask you to take iron and eat well and watch things continue to improve.  

If you are symptomatic, you may need more drastic measures.  I do recommend you touching base with your primary care doctor- I'm sure he or she will be interested in your condition and want to follow your progress.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Hemoglobin Too Low after Liposuction Surgery?

+1

You are wise  in being concerned about the anemia. Your hemoglobin levels are very low and concerning. Exactly how you should be managed will depend on your age and overall health status. Based on the limited information provided however I think additional advice from physicians in your area can only help. Make sure that you have someone around you at all times;   you are at risk for severe fatigue, dizziness etc.

Hemoglobin Too Low

+1

Yes, it is to low, you must take care, do not move enough, try to eat very healthy and if the tachycardia appear consult your primary care doctor.

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon