Hematoma? I Had a Breast Reduction 4/22/13, 1 Week Ago I Was Elbowed in My Breast, Now it's Sore and Red? (photo)

No Hematoma

Thanks for the photograph.  This does not represent a hematoma (good for you).  A breast that does have a hematoma is extremely swollen and has a heavily bruised appearance.  A hematoma needs to be drained.

Dr. ES

Sore and red breast after incidental trauma

Thanks for your photo... it doesn't look alarming but if the redness is spreading and you have other signs to suggest an infection, you do have to see your plastic surgeon or primary physican as soon as possible.

Curtis Wong, MD

A hematoma is unlikely from blunt trauma three months after a breast reduction

It's unlikely you have a hematoma. More likely you have suffered a contusion. Nevertheless: visit your surgeon.

Soreness after being elbowed in the breast after a reduction

If your breast is expanding then you may have a hematoma.  If you are just sore and red it is most likely just bruised.  You may want to try some cool compresses to relieve the soreness.  If you notice a change then contact your plastic surgeon

Hematoma vs. Bruise

If you are experiencing significant swelling (especially compared to the other breast) after being elbowed you may have a hematoma. However, if there is redness without swelling, you probably just have a bruise which will improve on its own in a short period of time. If you still have a concern, please contact your plastic surgeon who will have the benefit of examining you in person. Thank you for sharing your photo. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Hematoma very unlikely 6 weeks after breast reduction.

Hi.

By all means go see your plastic surgeon for a check up, but it does not sound too worrisome.  Most likely just a bruise.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)