Is This a Hematoma? (photo)

I had a breast augmentation and a mastoplexy on right side. 5 days later I still have swelling pain tightness, firmness and shiny bruised skin on my right breast which is only getting worse. My right is almost 3 times larger. I am worried its a hematoma. my first follow up is in 4 days. I am so worried and not at all sure what to do! I am not sure what to do? Should I go to the hospital? Or is it safe to wait a whole 4more days???

Hematoma after augmentation, contact your surgeon now

+2

You might have a hematoma and you should not wait four days to see your surgeon. You shouldn't need to go to the emergency room as a well chosen surgeon should be there for you when problems occur. Make the call now.

Hematoma

+1

For women searching this site for information, take note of this woman's statement and photo.  This is a post operative hematoma.  Unfortunately, they can occur in about one out of every hundred cases or so.  They are unlikely to occur, but not rare.  This is a condition that is best handled relatively early by removal of the excess blood in the pocket.  Although it is really not a health risk, excess blood in the implant pocket can cause hardening of the implant (contracture) down the road if not corrected.  It is a very simple surgical procedure that does not alter your outcome or recovery process. 

David Marcus, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Hematoma

+1

When one breast is much more swollen than the other, more painful, and bruised, there is a good chance that you have a hematoma (swelling from bleeding).When this happens, I suggest that you follow up with your surgeon as soon as possible to determine whether it needs to be drained.

Michael Horn, MD

Possible hematoma?

+1

It does appear that you might have a hematoma in your right breast. I would advise you to see your surgeon immediately for an opinion. This is not a dire emergency but I would not wait 4 days for your next scheduled appointment. You could require a surgery to evacuate the hematoma.

David A. Ross, MD

Possible hematoma following a breast augmentation / lift

+1

Your symptoms are certainly consistent with a hematoma especially if one side is three times larger than the other side.  You should contact your plastic surgeon as soon as possible.  If you have a hematoma it needs to be drained.  If not it can lead to healing problems.  

Breast Hematoma

+1

This may represent a hematoma.  However, you appear to have had much more surgery on the R breast and this may be just more swollen.  It is important to immediately follow up with your surgeon and be evaluated.

Charles R. Nathan, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Haematoma postop

+1

Most likely you do indeed present symptoms and appearances consistent with a haematoma of the right side that required urgent assessement by a surgeon/doctor, without undue delay.

Sultan Hassan, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Please call your surgeon

+1

Your picture and symptoms are consistant with hematoma. You should see your surgeon for evaluation and treatment. Your surgeon is the best person to evaluate and treat you.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Is This a Hematoma? (photo)

+1

According to the photographs and  the narrated information is more likely to have  a hematoma in the right breast, postsurgical edema in the breasts is not  usually  so marked and asymmetric, it is advisable that You  go to your PS as soon as possible for an evaluation, good luck

Jose Luis Acosta Collado, MD

Always call your surgeon first, ER only for life threatening emergencies

+1

It's impossible to tell if you have a hematoma from an isolated picture, but growing size and bruising are concerning enough the surgeon should have no problem fielding a call and getting you in for an appt sooner than later. If it's nothing, you will have peace of mind, and if it's a hematoma it needs to be addressed to prevent nipple and/or skin loss and implant CC. The ER doc will have no idea what he is looking at, as he has never performed a BA or mastopexy, and may end up calling an on call plastic surgeon who may also not have done a BA or mastopexy since residency! Your surgeon knows exactly what procedure he/she did and what the likelihood this is a problem or not. That's always your best bet.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon