Hematoma After a Breast Lift: Will It Effect My Result?

Hi I had a breast uplift 11 days ago. My right breast has been more swollen and bruised than the left, I visited my Dr today and he wants me to come back in for more surgery as it is a hematoma. He says it is a small operation, is this the case and what does it involve? Will it effect the overall 'result' of my uplift? Thanks.

Hematoma and Breast Lift

+1

Although not common bleeding after surgery and the collection of blood can cause a hematoma.  In most cases unless very small, a hematoma should be evacuated as it can lead to increased scarring and hardness and even impair residual blood supply. better to error on the cautious side and treat it.  When fully evacuated and good outcome is anticipated. Talk with your surgeon.

Draining a hematoma and effects on breast lift results

+1

IF evacuated early , the hematoma should not result not interfere with the final result of your procedure.

Hematomas may require additional surgery

+1

A hematoma is a collection of blood in the area of previous surgery.  Small hematomas sometimes will resorb on their own.  Larger hematomas are better treated with evacuation.  Blood or hematoma fluid can have long term adverse consequences.  The safe and conservative approach is to get it out. Yes it may involve additional surgery, but in the long term you will be better off.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Hematomas should be drained.

+1

It is better to re-open a small part of your incision and drain the hematoma, wash the area well and cauterize the vessel which caused it  than to wait for the resolution which can result in skin puckering and distortion of the tissues.  Over time the incision should reheal well and the breasts shape return without any evidence of the problem.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Hematoma after breast lift

+1

Hematomas or collections of bloos can happen after any surgery and can be the result of many different things.  It is hard for me to say how involved it is without having seen you.  If caught early and treated, usually leaves little to no reisdual problems.

Hematoma after a mastopexy

+1

It is better to drain a significant hematoma after a breast lift than to leave it.The undrained hematoma can cause pain, could get infected and result in an unsatisfactory appearance.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Hematomas need to be drained

+1

A true hematoma is an abnormal collection of blood in the surgical site.  Left undrained it can cause more scar and much longer recovery.  It is relatively simple to deal with and hopefully the bleeding point can be found and cauterized but more often than not, it is no longer bleeding by the time of exploration.  Your result will be more close to what it should be by DOING the exploration than by not doing it.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Hematoma after Breast Lift

+1

Hematoma is a known risk of any surgery.   I think quick reoperation to evacuate the fluid collection is the safest approach and will lead to the best overall outcome. It involves entering the previous incision, removing the fluid accumulation, and cessation of any active bleeding.    Your longterm  result will be much better with the evacuation procedure than without it.

Paul S. Gill, MD