Hematoma when After Can I Start Massaging Breast?

I had a very bad hematoma and I was wondering how soon after can I start massaging my breast? I don't want it to shift or lose volume or what have you?!? I know after implants especially silicon you have massage them intensely so the pocket don't close, which my body heals remarkably fast so I'm concerned? So when can I start massaging and start doing daily activity like mopping and things?

Hematoma post aug

+1

I would ask your surgeon first but usually 10-12 days is when I would recommend following a hematoma.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Massage after a complication.

+1

Sorry to hear about your complication. In situations such as these, direct discussion with your plastic surgeon about massage is recommended.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma Is The Number One Reason For Capsular Contracture

+1

I share your concern over the possibility of getting a hard breast (capsular contracture).  Blood around an implant is the number one reason for capsular contracture, therefore ask your plastic surgeon what he or she considers to be the best post hematoma treatment.

That being said, I believe the use of Accolate, a pill which decreases the chances of capsular contracture, would be appropriate to start at this time.  Again, the use of Accolate depends on your plastic surgeon's post hematoma regiment.  Some plastic surgeons believe in massage, some in ultrasound.  There is no universally accepted right answer.  I am not a particularly big fan of breast massaging, and I agree with the previous responder that this question needs to be asked of your plastic surgeon because you don't want to start the bleeding all over again.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma and massage of breasts

+1

Massaging of the breasts is not universally accepted, and you should ask your surgeon what his post-op routine is.

Massaging Breasts after Breast Hematoma?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced. The questions you ask are good questions that should be addressed to your plastic surgeon who knows your situation best and who is ultimately responsible for your care.

Hematoma when After Can I Start Massaging Breast

+1

For this question you need to be seen by and ask your own surgeon. 

Most of us think that massage lessens the chance of capsular contracture. Some half patient's begin massage in the first few days. I have my patient's begin a week. Other surgeons have the patient start still later. Her there are also some surgeons don't believe the massage contributes at all. We really don't know who is correct.

I would be more concerned about starting up another episode of bleeding. Medical decisions are all about balancing benefits with risks. Since it sounds like he had a significant bleed it seems to me that the risks may outweigh the benefits at this point in time.

Thanks for your question. Good luck and best wishes.