Is It Hematoma/Seroma on the Right Breast or Just the Normal Post Op Swelling? (photo)

I had a BA with 400cc silicone in each side,submuscular placement, 8 days ago.Straight after the surgery my right breast was bigger more swollen and in a lot of pain.The swelling is gradually going ,but my right breast is still more swollen and painful than the left one.I have no bruising whatsoever on my body. I went for my 7 day post op ,the nurse was alarmed by the size difference and called the surgeon to take a look.He said it might be a small hematoma,Unsure what option do I have now?Help!

Hematoma after breast surgery?

+2

Thanks for your post. The photos do not look consistent with a hematoma unless it is very small. You can always get an ultrasound of the breast which can confirm or deny the presence of blood in the breast pocket. Talk about this option with your PS. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Is It Hematoma/Seroma on the Right Breast

+2

I don't see anything suggestive of a hematoma or seroma. The breasts look pretty even on the photos, but none of the three shows the entire breast in such a way that a difference might be noted. It is not uncommon for the breast on the handed side to be  higher riding on the chest until the pectoral muscle relaxes to accommodate the implant, and that is often the cause of early asymmetry. Only an examination is person can resolve the question. Follow closely with your surgeon. 

Possible hematoma post augmentation swelling

+1

Hi,  You are only 8 days out from your procedure.  There can be normal causes for swelling and even asymmetric swelling.  There does not seem to be any alarm as far as your pics show but stay close to your ps to make sure that all is normal as the days/weeks go by.  If you do have a small hematoma, then it becomes your ps's call as to how it is handled.  From the pictures shown, it does not seem to me that anything other than reasurrance and time is indicated for now. 

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Not likely a hematoma or seroma

+1

It does not appear from the photograph that you have any indication of a hematoma.  It is more likely to be some asymmetry of the muscle that will decrease over the next several weeks. 

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is essential

+1

Even though there are no visible "hard" signs of a hematoma, physical exam and possibly and ultrasound can help determine if there is one. Talk to your plastic surgeon, figure out a plan with him/her; an undrained hematoma can have serious consequences on an implant. Good luck Dr Sarraga

Andres Sarraga, MD
Aventura Plastic Surgeon

Is It Hematoma/Seroma on the Right Breast or Just the Normal Post Op Swelling?

+1

Dear Sally,

I can not see a big difference between the two breasts in the photos provided.  I do not see any cause for alarm at this point.  I would continue to monitor and follow up with your plastic surgeon for assessments.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Seroma or Hematoma after breast augmentation

+1

From the photos it does not look like you have a hematoma. However if you have been active especially if you are right handed you will develop more fluid and or blood around the right breast implant.  If its blood you have a higher chance of developing a capsule on the right side.  So its important to use the arms equally if you expect both breasts to heal the same.  Most cases of capsule formation is related to what you do in the first few weeks after surgery.  Dr. Chu

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Significant volume asymmetry of the breast immediately after breast augmentation is probably a hematoma.

+1

I can't tell from the photograph the absolute asymmetry of the two breasts. If there has developed a significant volume asymmetry it most likely is a hematoma which probably will require drainage.