Hematoma on Right Breast?

I am three weeks post-op from breast reduction/lift/implant exchange. On day 10 I saw my plastic surgeon and he informed me I had a small hematoma (less than 100cc) and since it was slowly draining on its own to just keep it clean and see him in a week. My r breast is soft, there is no pain, etc. Can this cause asymmetry? My L breast has dropped nicely and although minimal my R breast is still a bit higher.

Hematomas and asymmetry

+1

Yes, a hematoma can certainly cause asymmetry - not only due to the size of the hematoma itself, but the inflammation and the scar tissue it causes in the immediate area.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of conservative management of significant hematomas - I much prefer to evacuate them at an early stage.

Good luck with your recovery - I hope it all turns out OK!

Hematoma on Right Breast?

+1

100 cc is not that small, and I suspect is in contact with the implant. If is is draining through the incision, my level of concern would be greater than if it is draining out a drain. My inclination would have been an early washout, but at three weeks my suggestion would have to be based on an actual exam.

The difference in the "dropping" is not a real concern--as they often drop at different paces, usually the one on the "handed" side being slower.

All the best.  

Hematoma Needs Treatment

+1

I am not sure of your question but if there is a hematoma I would have removed the hematoma.  This would reduce the chance of it getting infected and/or causing a capsular contracture.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Hematoma and breast surgery

+1

I am sorry to hear about your small hematoma. Although rare, these things can happen after surgery.  When you say your hematoma is draining, does this mean you have a drain in place??   If not, you may want to consider a washout procedure.  One thought is that retained blood collections around an implant can increase the risk of scar tissue formation around your implant (Capsular contracture).  In addition, it can potentially affect your final results.  However, without a physical exam, it is impossible to make any formal recommendations for care.  So please continue to followup with your PS closely.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Hematoma

+1

I tend to take an aggressive approach hematomas causing asymmetry.  If the asymmetry is noticeable, the hematoma is large enough to warrant drainage.  The body would ultimately take care of the blood; however, the risk of capsular contracture is higher in my opinion if the blood is left in place around the implant.

Joshua A. Greenwald, MD

Hematoma and Breast Asymmetry after Breast Surgery?

+1

I am sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing. Yes, a small hematoma can cause breast asymmetry; hopefully, as this hematoma resolves, your breast asymmetry will improve. Hopefully, the hematoma is not around your breast implant;  if so, you may be exposed to an increased risk of breast implant encapsulation.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.