How Should a Hematoma After Tummy Tuck Be Treated?

I just had my second tt on June 8 to resuture upper ab (1st full one on Feb 2) I have a hematoma at the top of my abdomen. I am not at all numb and I had it drained the other day. It was all dark blood. It hurt! My doc said to come back in a week and it may need drained again. Is a week too long to wait? It appears that part of it was drained but the other side is still full (i can see it moving). Is there anything he can do so it doesn't hurt as bad? Can this cause further complications? THX

Expanding hematoma. versus stable hematoma treatment of tummy tuck

+1

It sounds as if you had a brief bleed which formed a hematoma which is now liquefying and can be managed conservatively. If you should note rapid expansion of the abdomen this may be a sign that you need more urgent treatment.

Hematoma after tummy tuck

+1

If you have an expanding hematoma (blood) right after a tummy tuck, it may have to be repaired surgically.  If you have a collection of blood after a tummy tuck that is persistent for an extended period of time, then you may need to have it drained.  Oftentimes, a drain may be left in place so that you do not need to keep coming in every few days or weeks to have it drained.  Occasionally, but not often, you may need another surgery to prevent recurrence.  To answer your question, one week is not an unreasonable amount of time between office visits.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD