Hematoma After Breast Lift- 13th Day Sudden Bleeding, Pain and Swelling. Should I Worry?

I had 1st an allergic reaction to bandages. Thought this would be all, but no. Now I am having a small hematoma - that is what I was told. I was advised I was overacting. 1. I woke up and saw blood through the bandages. 2. Went to doc and he removed all, I saw it myself. A spot through which something disguising was coming. 3. Doc put some brown cream and bandages again. Nothing to worry. 4. I feel same sharp pain in there every few minutes. See no blood though bandages, but they are very tick. Should I Worry?

Stay in close contact with surgeon

+1
It's difficult to give you advice without physically examining you, however it sounds like your surgeon is treating you. Make sure to keep in contact with him so  he can monitor your progress.

Hematoma or some drainage from incision

+1

A hematoma is very different than some soilage of a dressing. Without an exam I could not be sure. If you have a hematoma that is substantial. then usually it is recommended to have it surgically removed. and the pocket washed out.

Breast Augementation - Hematoma After Breast Lift- 13th Day Sudden Bleeding, Pain and Swelling. Should I Worry?

+1

There's a significant difference between a medically/surgically hematoma and a small amount of drainage on one of the dressings, and it is not possible to distinguish the two via this forum, at least not with the info that's been provided here.  For that, you need to remain under the care of your own PS.  In general, a hematoma is associated with unilateral swelling and pain, and may also have redness, fever, difficulty breathing and other systemic signs.  In the absence of those (ie, if they're are reasonably symmetric, as are the symptoms) having a small amount of drainage on the dressing is not necessarily of major concern.  And that is more common after a lift with implants than with implants alone.  So if that's what's happening and your surgeon is watching you - as appears to be the case - then it sounds like you're on the right track.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Hematoma Aftr Breast Lift- 13th Day Sudden Bleeding, Pain&Swelling. Should I Worry?Answer:

+1

The type of hematoma we worry about is a large amount of blood that is collecting around your implant, making it extremely large (usually twice as big as the other side) and painful, and may need further surgery. That does not sound like what is happening here…It sounds like you are having a bit of blood leaking from an incision and that is not uncommon after a lift…So hang in there and trust your doctor..Sounds like he has it under control!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding after breast lift

+1
The best advice that anyone can give you in an on-line forum setting is to call your plastic surgeon, request a followup visit, ask lots of questions and participate actively in your own care. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Hematoma?

+1

Unless one of your breasts is much larger, harder and more painful than the other, i do not think that you have a significant hematoma. You may have had a little separation of the skin through which some blood came through. I hope you are not smoking. Follow you surgeon's instructions and you should be fine.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Hematoma after breast lift.

+1
There are too many unknowns in your story to advise you properly so the best advice is to go see you surgeon or his nurse and explain that you are anxious to understand what's happening in detail. Having said that, if you are day 13 and have not had breast implants as part of your lift, it's most likely nothing serious. It sounds like just a little collection of blood which has been sitting as a lump inside the breast and which has now become liquefied in order to drain itself out. This is a normal body process to get rid of that old blood. It won't affect your long term result. If you have had implants as part of your lift then it's potentially a more concerning event and you need to keep in close touch with your surgeons office over the next few days. Good luck.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma after breast lift

+1

Hello Francesca

Having a true hematoma 13 days after breast lift would be unusual.  Having said that, blood starts to liquefy at about 10 days, so it is not uncommon to see some blood seep through the incision.  True hematomas are tight, painful and cause obvious differences between the normal breast and the affected breast. It sounds like your doctor did the right thing by examining you and reassuring you.  Keep him posted and hang in there!

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Concerns about a small hematoma 13 days following surgery

+1

Without photos and an examination it is difficult to ascertain exactly what your situation is. Is one breast much larger and extensively bruised compared to the other? These would be a tip-off to a more signficant issue.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and listen to the explanation. If you are still not entirely satisfied, you can consider a 2nd opinion.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Hematoma is a collection of blood

+1

A hematoma is a collection of blood and usually presents itself as an increase in breast size, increase in pain, increase in breast firmness, bruising, etc.  Bleeding from the incision is not necessarily a hematoma as you may have  bleeding from the incision edges.  A small hematoma can be left alone, a large hematoma should be removed and taken care of.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD