Does every hematoma after breast augmentation result in a capsular contracture? (Photo)

11 days after vertical mastopexy with implants, my breast MRI confirmed that I have hematomas (the bigger was 190cc) above the implants on both breasts, though I know that these hematomas were there from day #1. After the MRI, my post op care surgeon opted for a conservative approach w/o drainage predicting that hematoma will resolve on its own in 2-3 weeks. He was right. 23 days post op, almost no hematoma, but I fear capsular contracture. Does every hematoma after BA result in a CC?

Hematoma after lift with implants

+1
  • This is a difficult situation to be in - and a complex question.
  • First you look as though you had extensive bruising in the breast lift tissues.
  • So it isn't clear if the MRI showed a true hematoma (a substantial blood clot) or blood in the tissues.
  • And if you had blood clots, if these in contact with your implants
  • Or if they are separated by a layer of muscle. 
  • Hematomas are blood collections,
  • Blood is extremely irritating to tissues,
  • Hematomas after any surgery will typically leave hard scar,
  • And a dense capsule around an implant,
  • But blood staining of tissues around the lift, separated from the implant will subside and you may not develop a capsule...
If your breasts are softening and the bruising is gone, chances are you are find.
But ask your surgeon to explain what went on exactly and what to expect. Best wishes.

Not necessarily....

+1
Thank you for posting your photos. I am Sorry to hear about your post operative complication. 
Not every hematoma results in capsular contracture. However, hematoma is a Leading risk factor for capsule contracture. At this point, only time will tell if you will develop any degree of capsular contracture.

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon