Hematoma 16 Days After Breast Augumentation - Will It Go Away?

I woke up one day with big, painful and hard left breast... it happen almost suddenly! I went to the PS and he did say it was a hematoma and I will see him wednesday again. My question is how often it goes away on its on and how often surgery to drain the blood is necessary? thanks

Hematoma 16 days after surgery

+3

It is believed that hematoma may contribute to capsule contracture. The longest I had a patient develop hematoma was 14 days. I took the patient back to the operating room to evacuate the hematoma and stop the source if the bleeding. Patient is now months out and didn't skip a beat. My vote is to reiterate and remove the hematoma.

Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma after Breast Augmentation

+2

If your breast suddenly became large, hard, tense and tender, you almost certainly have a hematoma that must be drained as soon as possible to avoid capsule contracture.

Although small bruises do not require treatment, hematoma, which is an accumulation of blood and/or clot in the space around the implant, must be treated to avoid complications or undesirable results.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma or bruise?

+2

Your breast doesn't look hard and tense in the photo.  This looks more like a bruise to me rather than a genuine hematoma which is a large mass of clotted and liquid blood in the implant pocket.  It sounds like your doctor is following this closely.  If it looks like it is getting worse rather than better, a trip to the O.R. would likely be indicated.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Hematoma after breast augmentation

+2

Surgery is generally indicated for an expanding or tense hematoma. Othertimes a well contained hematoma that is stable can be allowed to liquefy and then be evacuated with aspiration at 7-10 days using a blunt cannula to avoid implant injury. Small stable hematomas can be observed. In your case, The breast does not look significantly tense or larger than the left and observation could be a reasonable option.

Hematoma Management VARIES Depending On SIZE

+2

With regards to a hematoma after breast augmentation, it just depends on the size and the symptoms.  From your picture, it appears you have some minor bruising in the lower pole.  This in itself is usually not a reason to go in and drain the hematoma.  However, if the rest of the breast is firm, tense, and painful, then I would go in and evacuate the old blood.  Rarely do you find what caused the bleeding, but old blood sitting around the implant can cause an imflammatory reaction that can lead to more scar tisssue ( capsular contracture) down the line.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma after Breast Augmentation

+2

I treat symptomatic hematomas with surgery to evacuate the blood and stop any persistent bleeding. Small resolving hematomas can be managed with observation. From your photo, it looks like you have a minor bruise which will resolve with time. 

Hayley Brown, MD

Management of an augmented breast bruise VS. large blood collection

+2

Regarding: "Hematoma 16 Days After Breast Augumentation - Will It Go Away?
I woke up one day with big, painful and hard left breast... it happen almost suddenly
! I went to the PS and he did say it was a hematoma and I will see him wednesday again. My question is how often it goes away on its on and how often surgery to drain the blood is necessary? thanks
"

The management of BRUISING and that of a BLOOD COLLECTION (hematoma) are quite different.

Bruising, such as you appear to have on the photograph, will resolve as would a small, non expanding blood collection.

On the other hand, if the affected breast is much larger than the other side and, or is painful, purple, tense than you may have an active bleeding. In such a case, many surgeons would take you back to the operating room, remove the implant, remove the clots in the pocket and look for the bleeding site to stop it. Ignoring a large hematoma may not be wise because such collections may become infected and in most cases they distort the breast and cause scarring  / Capsular Contracture.

I have never seen sudden bleeding 2 weeks after surgery which was not related to trauma or violent coughing or vomiting. From your story you did not have this the day before and woke up with this presentation. I would defer to your surgeon because he is the only one who had the opportunity of examining you.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Hematoma after Breast Augmentation

+2

It is really difficult to say if you have a hematoma or if it really deep bruising.  If it is a formal hematoma, where there is some blood in the pocket, I would address that by removing the blood.  If is just bad bruising, then you just need time.  Only a physical exam can determine the difference.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast Augmentation Hematoma

+2

Hematoma is a known risk of breast augmentation.  It would be very unusual to develop a hematoma 16 days following your augmentation.  Although it is difficult to state for certain without an exam, it appears from your photo that you had some bleeding in a deep plane post-op which is only now becoming evident.  If this is the case, it should resolve in a few days and I would not be too concerned.

John Whitt, MD

Late hematoma after breast augmentation

+2

It would be unusual to have a hematoma 16 days after a breast augmentation, but if it is (as opposed to just some bad bruising), it is best to remove the blood surgically.  Hematomas in many cases can be observed, and can even be aspirated with a needle after several days when the clotted blood tends to liquify.  However, in the case of a hematoma around a breast implant, if it is not thoroughly removed, it will tend to fibrose (become like scar tissue) as the clot matures, which many including myself believe can lead to capsular contracture.  If your surgeon suggests removing it surgically by opening the incision, don't be alarmed as it's often the prudent thing to do.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon