Hematoma 15wks After Surgery - one side still more swollen and hard and sore to touch?

I had tummy tuck 15wks ago.3 wks post op I had a seroma which was drained by my PS.12 wks post op I was playing with the kids at the park,I used monkey bars and lifted myself up. immediately following this I experienced pain in my tummy.In the next 2 wks I started some light abdom exercise + gentle jogging. I noticed increased swelling on one side on my tummy.saw my PS who drained fresh blood + told me to wear support garment for 4 wks(1 wk ago)one side still more swollen and hard+sore to touch.

Hematoma 15wks After Surgery?

+1

The timing is a little unusual, but, obviously, it can happen. Recommendation of compression and avoiding abdominal strain is sensible, as is close follow up with your surgeon.

Thank you for your question, best wishes. 

Close monitoring will be nee

+1

A hematoma this far out is fairly rate but can happen.  At this time there would not be a specific place for the hematoma to collect unless you had a small seroma or pseudo bursa near that area of bleeding .  You will benefit from having your plastic surgeon keep a close eye on you for the next month or so.

Dr Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD

Bleeding after tummy tuck

+1

Since fresh blood was removed there was fresh bleeding in the area. If the area is firm and tender there may be more blood still present. Further aspirations may be necessary. support garment is helpful. continue to followup with your PS to see if there is more blood to aspirate.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma after Tummy Tuck?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced. Once a hematoma or seroma has occurred it may require several aspirations to resolve. There may also be inflammation in the soft tissues ( which explains the swelling and tenderness you are experiencing).

The important thing is to continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to treat  any residual fluid accumulations. Generally, (even without having experienced a complication) it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  a complete skin redraping  to occur.

Not unusual

+1

Early seroma after abdominoplasty is common and usually easily managed in the office with needle drainage typically without long term consequence. At 3 months postop you should be OK to resume all activities but it is possible that either the initial seroma space refilled or a small tear in the diastasis (fascia) repair may have bled if there was actually fresh blood.

It will take some time before this new area heals and therefore the swelling and pain are to be expected.  Your plastic surgeon is managing you well. Be patient and follow up with him/her. You should go on to heal without any significant long term problem.  

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

For a big surgery like that it takes some time for your body to go back to normal. It takes 6-9 months something a year for you to feel normal again.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS