Tummy Tuck and Muscle Repair 6 Months Ago, Lost 3-5lbs, and Have Loose Skin? (photo)

I had a full tummy tuck with muscle repair 6 months ago and since then i have lost 3-5lb since I started fitness camp 2 months ago. My belly is really loose now and when i sit down i have a big fat roll. Should I get a mini tummy tuck?

Weight loss post tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. When you stabilize your weight, you should return to your surgeon to explore the possibilities for a revision of the surgery. Your surgeon seemed to have performed a good and conservative tummy tuck. 

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+1

Sometimes we can see some loose skin with weight loss even after TT.  I would stabilize your weight and talk with your doctor I sure they want you to be happy!  Remember to see a board certified plastic surgeon who is an ASAPS member 

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Your Tummy Tuck Result

+1

Have reviewed your photos: 1. I would have extended the insicion more laterally to avoid the excess skin that you have on the sides.  Also, I would have been more agressive with skin tighening.  Lastly I see you have a verticle scar below you belly button.. I would have tighened your skin futher by excising skin beneath that scar.  I hope I am note being to critical of your result but in my estimation a more aggressive approach would have given you a better result.  Good Luck and keep that weight loss going. 

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for the question and the pictures. Losing 3-5 lb after surgery should not affect the outcome that much. But, what I see from your photos is stretch marks which make it difficult to get a tight look and feel even after tummy tuck. Also I see some excess skin on the sides and you may have benefited from an extended tummy tuck. My advice for you is to address your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Getting a second opinion may help.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Another tummy tuck for more loose skin?

+1

If you lost weight after your surgery: GOOD FOR YOU.  Many people find that improved abilities after abdominoplasty lead to improved exercise tolerance and better health.

If you have "deflated" and would like to have more of your wrapper shrunk (and also get rid of more stretch marks), GO FOR IT.

Use the same surgeon if you can and expect to pay for a mini-tuck:  your last surgeon did a good job from the look of the scars.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Should I have ANOTHER Operation to Tighten Weight-Loss related Loose Skin 6 Months after a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Tummy Tuck is in some way similar to playing billiards; It works best and produces best when all the balls / ideal criteria are "lined up". The best Tummy Tuck candidates are 
- theIDEAL WEIGHT (BMI below 30 or lower)
- have completed their families
- are in GOOD HEALTH
- do not smoke (even second hand)
- accepting of the scarring associated with removal of the excess lower abdominal skin.

In my opinion, it does not APPEAR you were at your ideal weight at the time of your original operation. As a result, the maximal amount of skin was not removed. As you went on to lose more weight you unmasked and revealed the excess skin left behind by your premature Tummy Tuck. 

Should you have a "Mini Tummy Tuck" to address this hanging skin? It depends. Is this all the weight you ae going to lose? Probably, not. If you were my patient, I would strongly advise you to cut your fat and carbohydrate intake and lose a lot MORE weight reaching a BMI of 27 and under. With your weight at that level and stable and in the absence of contraindications, a Tummy Tuck at THAT time may yield a SUPERB result.

Good Luck

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+1

Hi there,

I agree with the advice of the other surgeon answering your question.  Once you get to your goal weight, for an ideal result you'll need a further strip of skin removed and possibly some lipo to thin out the flank and waist area.  The good news is that the muscle repair does;t need to be repeated, and the further surgery is small scale and rapid recovery.

Good luck.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck results

+1

I think you had a fairly conservative tummy tuck. This could have been chosen for several reasons. Perhaps your surgeon felt a "tight" tummy tuck was too risky. The benefit is a fairly soft thin scar. The risk is residual loose skin which is what I see. I would suggest continuing to loose weight until you are at your goal then revisit your plastic surgeon for a second tightening procedure depending upon needs at that point.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon