Help, I Need Help Picking a Plastic Surgeon!

so i'm planning on getting a rhinoplasty, and so far have been on three consultations and am planning on going on at least two more. i feel so overwhelmed on choosing a doctor! i feel torn between years of experience, versus the consultation experience. also between reviews versus lack of reviews, however, i know that reviews can be biased. how can i choose a doctor? is it something that i will "just know" ? please help!

Chose the right surgeon for Rhinoplasty

+2

Dear Ivette,

Rhinoplasty is a delicate and precise procedure that is best performed by board certified surgeons with ample experience in the field, especially if they micro-specialize in facial procedures.

Reviews are important. Nonetheless, seeking consultation with a surgeon and talking to his/her former patient(s) about their experience is one of the best ways to make up your mind.

Every patient is different and maintaining your natural looks while enhancing your facial features through a Rhinoplasty is an important key I consider.

Wishing you the best of luck and thank you for your question.

Dr. Sajjadian

How to pick a right doctor for rhinoplasty

+2

I think everything is important: experience, rapport with a doctor, doctor's training, prior results.  I would put more emphasis on years of experience and prior results, as one may have many years of experience and still do a suboptimal surgery. Would also recommend to go with a facial plastic surgeon, especially if you need some functional improvement as well (septoplasty for nasal obstruction, etc).

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Rhinoplasty

+2

Definitely go for the experience. Anyone can have a great website or be personable at the consultation. And look at photos. Rhinoplasty is probasbly the most difficult procedure most plastic surgeons do so there is no substitute for experience.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Help Picking a Plastic Surgeon

+2

Experience is good only if the results are excellent and you agree with the surgeon's selecting a surgeon's aesthetic tastes. You mention several excellent parameters for selecting you surgeon. How comfortable are you with the surgeon? Ask to talk to the surgeon's patients, especially those who had a noses like yours. You are now experiencing the most difficult part of the rhinoplasty experience.

Help! I need help picking a plastic surgeon.

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question.  Cost will vary among plastic surgeons as well as with geographic location and what procedures exactly they will be providing to you.  Certainly, researching a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in the procedure(s) you desire is recommended - checking the American Board of Plastic Surgery is a great start. Consult with two or more surgeons who you are happy with their postoperative photographs and those who you, most importantly, feel comfortable and confident with. Use the opportunity to ask questions as well as visit with staff and investigate the accredited facilities they work out of.  I believe fellowship-training, beyond the core plastic surgery residency to be important, as that surgeon has gone above and beyond to seek additional training specific to that area of interest and chosen to gain additional expertise in that area.   

Experience should not be measured solely by the age of the surgeon or how many years s/he has been in practice.  Checking the education and training is more valuable - a Board Certified MD plastic surgeon who was accepted to and completed an integrated plastic surgery residency, in today's day and age, are excellent choices. Those are the top students who have superior training at top institutes.  Plastic Surgery is NOT a fellowship...it is a residency. Those surgeons who have actually successfully completed additional fellowship training beyond the plastic surgery residency are also passionate about that area and will likely have the most recent, innovative, and up to date techniques. These are usually the younger surgeons, who are still readily willing and competent to continue to strive for the newest material and remain up to date on literature and conferences. 

You must decide for yourself who you are most comfortable with and confident with who will meet your goals and expectations. Cost may differ just on expertise and the aforementioned additional training ad what that additional expertise training has afforded to his/her patients.  Hope that this helps!  Best  wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Sometimes going on too many consults can be more confusing than helpful. You are clearly somewhat indecisive regarding a very important decision.  When you find the right surgeon, you will know it, but definitely should not proceed if you have any doubts at all.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Choosing a plastic surgeon for nasal surgery

+1

FIrst, you have to feel comfortable with both the doctor and his staff. Be careful of the "show."  Look at his results and see what his experience is like. Good luck.

Picking a Plastic Surgeon

+1

Choosing a rhinoplastic surgeon is not that difficult as say choosing an orthopedic surgeon, since you can evaluate the former's results before hand by looking at their before and after pictures. The more you see the better. If 80% of the results are good, then statistically, you will have 80% chance of having a good result. Certification is important but it is how experienced they are and how well they can manage your type of noses that is important. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Freedom to Choose

+1

The "Freedom to Choose" can be daunting and confusing!  However, please remember that every Cosmetic Surgeon believes she or he is "the world's best surgeon."  In fact, every surgeon will claim to have "The Best" training, experience, credentials or techniques, etc., etc.  Additionally, physicians even argue (fight) over who possesses "The Best" and most relevant medical board certifications!   As for me, I feel that my four boards provide "The Best" and most in-depth credentials: American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS), American Board of Cosmetic Surgery (ABCS), American Board of Otolaryngology (Head & Neck Surgery), and the American Board of Laser Surgery (ABLS).  I am presently working on a fifth board: The American Board of Anti-Aging & Regenerative Medicine (ABAARM).  The truth is, board certification is only the BEGINNING!  Yes, it's merely the entry level of progress toward medical proficiency. "Board certification" cannot magically create or generate an expert.  It is the repetitive practice of Cosmetic Surgery coupled with excellent continuing training that helps provide successful outcomes (which can never be guaranteed).  In actuality, Cosmetic Surgery is a blend of art, medicine, surgery, heart and soul.  My sincere recommendation: Find a well practiced & boarded Cosmetic Surgeon that you "connect with" who is willing to clearly communicate with you!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a plastic surgeon

+1

Yes, the process of choosing a plastic surgeon can be difficult as you have alluded.  I believe the three most important components of choosing a board certified plastic surgeon are:

Consistently excellent results

Strong, consistent reviews about experience from prior patients

Your interaction with the surgeon.

Yes experience is important but if someone can show you multiple excellent results and positive reviews that would indicate sufficient experience in my opinion.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD