Help, Are These the Right Size Implants?

I'm 5'0" 110 lbs, petite. I had weight loss surg almost 2 years ago, I've leveled out. I started with full C breasts now deflated to an A, not much ptosis. The distance between the base of my neck and nipple is 21cm's and diameter of my breasts are 17cm's, if I measured right. I would like to be a D after. I want 500cc hp gummy bear implants, sub muscular. My first consult is 1/10. Will hp implants be too small in diameter or should I go with mod profile? Will 500cc be way to big for my frame?

500 cc implants Too Big for My Frame

+3

Very few women at 5 feet in height would be well served by 500 ml implants.  Also, going from an A to a D is generally not something I recommend.  A to C would be reasonable.  If you want 500 ml, HP will not be too small for your chest wall, and they will likely be too large for your chest wall (due to the high volume).  All of these are vague generalities, and you should discuss all of these concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Right size implants after weight loss and deflation

+2

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your weight loss!  Without an exam, it would be hard to tell what would be the better choices in implant styles for your size of chest.  17 cm seems a bit wide for someone who is 5'0" and 110 lbs.  Higher profile implants are sometimes chosen when a patient desires a larger breast (cup) size but do not want them wider than the chest itself (the notorious side boob).  Choosing the volume of implants is really a personal decision, and shouldn't be swayed by a PS's personal preference.  Only his/her professional experience with larger implants should be looked upon for guidance.  You are the one who will wake up every morning and see them in the bathroom mirror, not one of us, so choose your size as long as it can be reasonably done.

Good luck in your endeavors

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Best Breast Implant Size/Profile for Me?

+2

As you can imagine, despite your good description of body type and goals, it is not possible to give you precise  advice online.
The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “full D” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I also worry if you choose such a large implant your long term success may be low, the implant will push on your anatomy and cause permanent deformities 

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

How to choose the right breast implants

+1
How to Find the Right Implants
It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape of implant that you will enjoy without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts).
My advice is to accept advice from your board certified plastic surgeon after a formal consultation and examination with measurements.. If still confused don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast Implant Size

+1

How do I select the appropriate breast implant size?

This is a decision you and your surgeon will make together. It is important to understand that there is not a wide range of implant sizes and profiles that will look natural in each individual patient. Given your height, weight and preoperative breast profile, there really is a limited range of implants sizes and profiles that will produce a full - but natural - breast appearance. So it is important to establish from the beginning whether or not you and the surgeon that you have selected have the same aesthetic vision. One of the best ways to do this is by reviewing the surgeon's 'before and after' photos.

You can certainly purchase the size bra (unpadded) that you would like to fill out and experiment at home with bags of rice. One implant manufacturer also has a 'pre-consultation' kit with sample 'sizers' that you can use at home to get some idea of the implant size range that may work best for you. You could bring some photos to the consultation appointment of breasts that are appealing to you, and you can show your surgeon which of their 'before and after' photos are most appealing to you. There is no substitute, however, for the process of examining different implant sizes and profiles with your surgeon during your physician consultation appointment. You can hold them up in front of your breasts, and you can put them in an unpadded bra that is the size you would like to be. Your surgeon can show you how each implant's base diameter and projection will impact breast appearance. This will give you a very good idea of the result you are likely to get from each size and style.

Implant 'profile' refers to how wide an implant is (base diameter) compared to how much forward projection it has (height). The implant manufacturers use different terms to describe these profiles, but in essence there are three types: low profile (wide base diameter / modest projection), intermediate profile (less wide, more projecting) and high profile (even narrower diameter, very projecting). If the goal is a full but natural-appearing breast enhancement, almost all patients need a low- or intermediate-profile implant. A 'deflated' appearing breast with little forward projection usually looks best with a intermediate profile implant, while a more youthful-appearing breast with some natural, inherent projection often looks best with a low profile implant - especially in a slender patient with an athletic frame. There are very few patients that need a high profile implant, at least not if the goal of surgery is a natural-appearing breast enhancement. The combination of narrow base diameter and high projection is really an implant style that is more suited to breast reconstruction than breast augmentation.

Ultimately, you will have to put your faith and trust in the surgeon you have selected. Communication is key, so be certain that you and your surgeon have the same idea of what a beautiful breast looks like. And make sure that your surgeon takes the time and effort in the operating room to use sterile breast implant 'sizers' to determine the implant size and profile that is ideal for you personally. A good breast augmentation surgeon goes into the O.R. with a good idea of what implant size and profile will work best for a patient, but makes the final decision using implant sizers. Breasts are often asymmetrical in size and shape, and the chest wall may also be asymmetrical in terms of its forward projection on each side, so in some cases a surgeon may need to use implants of different size and/or projection. The only way for a plastic surgeon to ensure that a breast augmentation result is full but natural-appearing, and as close to symmetrical as possible, is to evaluate the appearance of a variety of sizers in the operating room with the OR table raised into an upright, sitting position. Your surgeon should keep a full inventory of implant sizes and profiles in the surgery center, so that the implant choice is never limited by 'what is available'.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

500 cc Implants

+1

You've made such an effort to become petite, why would you want to look heavy with 500cc implants.  Bigger is not sexier.  Get a consultation with a few surgeons certified by the ABPS and who are also members of the ASAPS.  Hopefully, they will use 'dimensional planning' to obtain a properly sized implant.  High Profile implants have the highest risk of complications.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Implants

+1

The style is more important than the volume. The high profile implants are nice but i really like the moderate plus profile look. I think they look a lot more natural.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Right Size Implants?

+1

I would guess that 17 cm is the circumference and not the diameter. The diameter measurement would be a straight line from the innermost to the outermost breast tissue. Someone your size is likelier to have a diameter of 10 or 11 cm. In that setting, most surgeons would not recommend implants larger than 300 or so. At 500 cc, even HP implants would be considerably too wide for your frame.

You will be able to discuss this in a more useful manner in the consultants office based upon actual measurements. 

Thank you for your question, best wishes.