HELP...12 Weeks Post Rhino/septo, and Hit on the Bridge of Nose?

I am about 12 week post open rhino and septplasty. I had my bridge narrowed and lowered and some tip work. Today I picked up my 4 yr old daughter, and she dropped her arm on my forehead and bridge f my nose. It did not hurt, and now about an hour later it is very slightly throbbing. I have an appt with my PS on the 21st. I called today, and the nurse said to just keep my appt, if nothing else for peace of mind, and that I did not have to run in by any means. Should I be worried??

Injury 12 weeks after rhinoplasty

+2

Given your recent surgery, your concern is reasonable. At 12 weeks from surgery, your risk of complications is much lower than during the first couple of postoperative weeks. It is normal to experience slight throbbing following an episode of minor nasal trauma at this point during your recovery. As long as there is no visible deformity, no signnificant swelling, the throbbing doesn't escalate, no bleeding, and no new nasal obstruction, then the chance of significant nasal injury is low. If you are excessively worried or would prefer to be seen earlier, express that to your surgeon's staff. Good luck with your recovery.

Injury after rhinoplasty

+2

Since you are 12 weeks out and you don't describe any bleeding or significant swelling, it sounds like you are going to be fine.  Keep some ice on for swelling and see your surgeon in follow up.  The nasal bones are typically well healed at six weeks. 

Gregory Branham, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Soft impact not likely to injure nose

+2
It is unlikely that a soft blow to the nose will result in significant damage - even in the early post-op period. If you hear a crack, experience pain and bleeding then you should worry

Sam Naficy, MD

Hit on nose after surgery

+2

If there is any noticeable deviation then it can be straightened easily with some manipulation within 12 hours. If it has been 24 hours then it is probably too difficult to manipulate it without anesthesia. This is rare however. Usually it will only result in some swelling that will resolve. It may take some time (even months) after several months have passed, a critical evaluation can be made to determine if anything else is necessary. It will usually resolve without any need for treatment so I reall y wouldn't worry much, take some Motrin and keep your follow-up visit. Some oral steroids may halp speed the resolution of the swelling.

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Struck in nose 12 weeks after rhinoplasty

+2

From what you describe, I doubt you will have any significant downsides from your trauma. If the nose does not look crooked or different, I would agree with your Dr's nurse - just keep your follow up visit.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Just for peace of mind I would request to see your chosen surgeon now. JUST FOR PEACE of MIND! That is what I would recommend if your were my patient. 

Trauma to Nose 12 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi C,

As long as your nose is still straight on your face then there is nothing to do and nothing to worry about.  If you are at all concerned about your nose, it is best to insist upon seeing your rhinoplasty surgeon for reassurance and piece of mind.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Trauma after rhinoplasty

+1

A mild tap on the nose probably did not have any significant consequences. However in the first six weeks the nose should be protected. No contact sports is a good example.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Rhino/septo and trauma

+1

It sounds unlikely that you suffered any significant trauma from the nasal blow from your 4 year old. But just to be safe, follow-up with your doctor.

Hit in the Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Your story is quite common, almost everyone who has young children gets hit in the nose after  rhinoplasty surgery. You are twelve weeks out, and your nose should be relatively stable.  Since you don't mention any bleeding, or subsequent deformity you should be fine.

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon