Help! Uneven Breasts 3 Months Post Surgery. Should I Wait? (photo)

I am 3mo post surgery - 230cc silicone breast implants. I had little asymmetry prior to surgery, and now have visible asymmetry with shape, size and nipple position. My right breast has a fuller tear-dropped shape with some rippling near the scar, and my left breast is visibly smaller than my right breast (specifically 1" smaller in width over the nipple and 1" shorter from base to belly button). Is this normal? Should I expect change in the next 3mo? If not, how can this be corrected?

Uneven Breasts 3 Months after Implants Will Need Revision

+3

Your size difference looks more significant than I would expect with a simple pre op breast asymmetry. Several factors come to mind:

• The Right Implant pocket is larger and the implant has "bottomed out" which causes the significant shape and nipple position difference-this can be revised by tightening the pocket capsule and re establishing the crease beneath your breast
  • The left breast looks much smaller than I would expect-if the Left Breast Implant is firm and does not move well then a capsule or scar tissue may have formed. Otherwise, if it is soft and moveable I would ask your doctor if it is possible that a different sized implant was used. Either way a revision is needed-either release of a capsule and pocket enlargement or a larger implant

I personally would wait until 6 months post op to do a revision.

Asymmetric after breast augmenation

+1

Everybody is asymmetric before surgery, and everybody will be asymmetric after surgery. Even though you're three months out, your implants will continue to settle and change over the next few months. So I advise you to wait at least 3 more months before making any decisions.

Of course, it's best to follow up with your board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your issues with him/her. I hope this helps and wish you all the best.

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Help! Uneven Breasts 3 Months Post Surgery. Should I Wait?

+1

Yes you were asymmetric before and by using the same sized implants only magnified the differences. You need either increased size on the left or lipo with fat grafts to the left. 

Obvious breast asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1

It would be helpful to see your pictures prior to surgery. It is obvious that you have asymmetry after your surgery that will require a revision. Ideally you would want to wait 6 months after the surgery. You should let the surgeon know which side you prefer and try and have them match it as best as possible.

Good luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric breasts (photos)

+1

The best course depends on the cause of asymmetry.. Is there a space occupying lesion or fluid filling up the right side, or has the left partially deflated or displaced, or is there contracture causing shape differential?   Difficult to be sure based on photos.  If they were inserted transaxillary (under armpit), may be asymmetric pockets or improper orientation of left implant.  Need more information and exam to properly diagnose, which will then determine treatment.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast asymmetry after surgery

+1

Pre-operative breast asymmetry can be improved with the proper surgical techniques,but it can never be eliminated completely. It doesn't surprise me that there is still soem asymmetry at 3 months post op. Your breasts will continue to change over the next 6-9 months so you shold wait before making any decisions about revision surgery for several more months.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

All breasts are asymmetric and implants can magnify the difference. But they will undergo more changes with time.

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The breast asymmetry that you are referring to is clearly visible in the pictures that you have posted. I would agree with you that waiting an additional 3 to 6 months before evaluating the final results of surgery will be in your best interest. If revisionary surgery becomes necessary, much of what is recommended/performed  will depend on what the breasts look like at that point and what your goals are.

For example, it appears that your right breast implant has “settled” more so than your left side. If this remains the case several months in the future,  options would include lowering the right breast implant pocket and/or raising the right breast implant pocket (capsulorrhaphy).   Breast size and asymmetry concerns can be addressed with the use of different size/profile of breast implants as well.

Again, it would be best to wait for  a few additional months before determining the need/specifics regarding revisionary breast surgery.