Torn Between Sizes Before Revision Of Ruptured Saline Implants. (photo)

I had saline implants 7 years ago and one just ruptured. I'm going in next week to get Allergan gel implants but am torn on what size to get. I am 5'4", 47 years old and had 350cc on left and 330cc on right. I want to go smaller because I am very athletic and want a more natural look. I'm also tired of the looks and comments made about my breasts because they are a little too big for my petite frame. I'm torn between 339cc/304cc OR 304cc/286cc. I still want to look full but not overflowing

Breast Implant Size

+2

If you go with the smaller implants, you may see only a very small change in size since 30cc is only 1 ounce of volume. Discuss with your plastic surgeon the options of going smaller.

Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Confused About Implant Sizes

+2

Dear Ali101,  The differences in the sizes you mentioned are very small, so small that you probably could not see any difference if you did not which implants were actually used.   When are debating about size differences this small, the surgeon often will choose one size over the other due to very subtle effects they see while in surgery; differences that will enhance the final result but really cannot be determined until the surgeon is working with the patient's actual tissues.

The patient's role is to communicate to the surgeon what size and shape they want to achieve by using photos, pre-op sizing techniques, and trying to be as precise in their discussion with their plastic surgeon.  It is the plastic surgeon's role to then use this information to choose the correct implant shape and size range and then in surgery, finalize the appropriate implant choice.

I would suggest that you again meet with your plastic surgeon and discuss your goals and concerns.  The good news is that the difference between the sizes you are looking at are very small and very subtle.  This is where the artistry of your plastic surgeon comes into play.  Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgeon can use sterile implant sizers to see which is best for you.

+2

Hi.  I wrote this article about a year ago.  I hope you find it useful.

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Implant Sizes

+2

The size differences that you are mentioning is very minimal.  20-30-50 cc's, ect., are not large changes and may not even be perceptible to the eye.  You may want to discuss with your surgeon the profile of the implant - low, moderate, moderate plus or high.  These subtle differences in the projection of the implant can may an appreciable difference for the same volume.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

New Implant Sizes

+2

I notice my patients get pretty concerned over how many ccs, and it's understandable because 50 or 100 sound like big numbers. But one teaspoon is 5 ccs, almost nothing and certainly an inconsequential number in breast volume. If you go from 350 to 339, you have made two teaspoons of volume change, you won't even notice it. Don't waste your time picking implant sizes unless you do it for a living. That is your doctor's job. Show him photos of medical quality that show the look you're after and let him find the size that gets you that look. The only way for sure is for him to use breast sizers in the operating room.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Torn between goning too big with implants

+2

Keep in mind it takes about 100cc to make a visual impact on breast size, and if all you comments are true about feeling too big, when you convert to the gel the smaller may be what you are looking for. The 339 will be much the same as you are.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Trust your plastic surgeon

+1

I totally sympathize with your goals and frustrations with your current implants.  A whole lot more goes into the choice of implants for you than simply size, therefore I would discuss all the concerns you have about your current implants and be frank about what your goals are.  If you trust your surgeon, you will be much happier with your outcome in the end.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing?

+1

Prior to proceeding with the revisionary surgery it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.    I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”. 

Implant choices

+1

The size difference is not too different between the implants. The best decision is to be made with your surgeon. However, dropping jsut 20 or 30 cc's from your original implants will not make a big difference.