Help with Stretch Marks on my Sides, How Can I Treat Them? (photo)

When I got out of highschool, I quit sports and excersize etc. I am now 19 And gained a little bit of weight going from 155lbs to 170lbs. Now a year later I'm back in the gym and although I've gained muscle and have started the process back to getting fit I'm still haunted by the stretch marks on my sides. How can I get rid of them?

+1

Thank you for your question. Based on the photo you have submitted it can be seen that you genetically have the type of skin that forms these stretch marks easily. Unfortunately once they develop they cannot be removed. The claims that are made commercially regarding topicals, lasers, etc., are just that: "claims". None of these treatments actually work. So the best thing you can do for yourself is to prevent these from getting worse, by regular and vigorous exercise. Especially you need to prepare your body for the future when you have children, because pregnancy will be associated with a lot of these stretch marks and the more your body is fit and in shape, the less damage to your skin. Best of luck!

Help with Stretch Marks on my Sides, How Can I Treat Them?

+1

There are very few therapies/treatment to help. But recently the new "nano Fat grafts" have shown some interest...

Stretch marks

+1

Stretch marks are tears in one of the layers of the skin, the dermis.  Patients find them extremely frustrating.  I agree with my colleagues that there are no real satisfactory topical treatments.  Some may minimize the appearance, but they are still present.

David A. Lickstein, MD

+1

The treatments available for stretchmarks are less than impressive, and if stretchmarks cannot removed surgically I do not typically offer any other treatments.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Stretch marks

+1

Thanks for your inquiry and picture.  Unfortunately I do not think any of the current stretch mark strategies work well or are worth the costs.  Good luck with your work out regimen.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Broad Band Light therapy

+1

Stretch marks are always a tough subject.  What happens is the skin stretches of course and begins to almost leave scars on the abdomen, breasts etc. We recommend Biocorneum Scar cream may help, allow three months.  Also, we use a Sciton Laser and recommend Broad Band Light therapy (BBL) to help with the red color of the skin.  Five or Six treatments may be needed.  Little to no down time and healing is nearly painless.

Gregory A. Wiener, MD, FACS

Stretch Marks

+1

There is no definitive cure for stretch marks unless they can be excised. Radiofrequency treatments and medications such as Nectifirm can help to minimize their appearance, but it will require ongoing treatment.

Donald Griffin, MD

Stretch mark removal

+1

I am sorry but i am unaware of any technology that effectively and permanently removes stretch marks.  It is possible to actually cut them out but it does not appear that you have enough excess skin to do so.  Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon