Need Help With Scar Revision?

What would give the best result for my scar. One surgeon recommended a straight line closure and another recommended a geometric line closure but said there will be hairloss. I dont know what to do. As you can see its a pretty bad scar and im getting hopeless. Some advice from some experts would be great. Also do you think its been enough time for surgery.The scar is 8 months old, due to trauma...

Update: Photos added

Fixing a difficult face and neck scar with z plasty scar revision

+1

There are three issues with this scar.  Redness, the linearity and width of the scar, and the loss of hair. I would recommend a combination of pulsed dye laser and skin resurfacing for the non-hairbearing areas and z plasty scar revision for the hair bearing areas. 

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

Medical Microneedling Can Work Well For Improving The Appearance of Scars

+1

Before discussing treatment, I would like to comment on the timing for the treatment of scars. In times past, the conventional wisdom was to allow any scar, whether traumatic or surgical (or from other causes) to mature. This essentially meant leaving the scar alone for at least a year. More than fifteen years ago, however, there were several papers published in the dermatologic surgery literature regarding a procedure known as "scarabrasion." It was found that dermabrading the traumatic wound or manually sanding it within a very narrow eight to twelve week interval ,following the trauma or surgery actually yielded far better results, sometimes resulting in near or total obliteration of the scar and that the results of treatment became increasingly less favorable the longer the interval between initiating treatment and the original wounding.

In cases of more mature scars, where the above window of opportunity is past and scar maturation has already taken place, if the disparity between the surface texture of the scar and the surrounding skin is troubling, a series of medical microneedling treatments might be considererd. Medical microneedling, which may be performed mechanically using rollers (e.g. Dermaroller) or electrically operated (Dermapen) essentially consists of going over the area with an array of needles that penetrate and break up the surface of the scar and of the underlying abnormal fibrous tissue.

Disrupting the surface of the scar allows for the possibility healing with a smoother surface texture to the scar. In addition, the use of the needles crossing between normal and scar areas allows for the possibility of micro-auto-transplantation of pigment cells from the normal periphery into the scar area, which may help to somewhat further even out the pigmentation. Breaking up the fibrotic scar collagen below the skin surface sets the stage for new, normal collagen synthesis (neocollagenesis), which softens the scar and improves its general characteristics. Following medical microneedling, the treated area may appear sun-burned for about 12-24 hours. There is little to no downtime, however, and I permit patients to return to routine skin care and makeup the following day. 

Not all aesthetic physicians perform medical microneedling, so, should you wish to explore this simple, minimally-invasive option, you should screen carefully for a board certified aesthetic physician with training and expertise in the procedure.

Web reference: http://YoungerLookingWithoutSurgery.com

Scar revision

+1

Sorry that your scar cannot be evaluated because photos were not attached.  Crucial factors include the location, whether it runs parallel with or perpendicular to the lines of tension and how it crosses into the hairline. Generally, scar revision should be deferred until one year has elapsed after the injury; however, if the scar is pretty severe at this point, I think it would be advisable to see a board certified plastic surgeon for some perspective and recommendations. Best of luck.  Dr. K

Many options exist for scar revision - please submit a photo

+1

Both GBLC and scar excision with meticulous closure are commonly performed. For a scar aligned with facial expression lines I rarely find it necessary to perform a complex scar revision such as W-plasty or GBLC. If your scar runs in opposition to these normal expression lines then a more complex scar revision is often helpful. Please post photos for a more specific answer. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/scar-treatments/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision

+1

I recommend waiting a full year before proceeding with the revision of any scar. I do not see the pictures??