How to Help This Scar? (photo)

I have a scar between my eyebrows. The scar is slightly atrophic. I got the scar when I hit my head accidentally at the edge of two walls. It has been almost 3 months since the accident and nothing has changed. I think the skin was traumatized. I have used Vaseline, Dermefface FX7, silicone gel, caster oil. Please, help me. I don't know what to do. Can Fraxel laser help? Chemical peeling? Dermabrasion? Microdermabrasion? Maybe eMatrix will help? I'm 19 years old, skin type 3.

Scar Can Be Helped

+2
Thank you for your photo.  It is still a bit early to treat the scar.  I would wait a minimum of 12-18 months. If not significantly improved, then laser resurfacing or dermabrasion would be effective in improving the scar. In the meantime continue with the silicone treatments and avoiding sun exposure with sunscreen. Best wishes.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Laser can help

+2

Hi, these types of scar do well with laser, in particular fraxel resurfacing. I would recommend you see a dermatologist with expertise in laser surgery and skin surgery so they are comfortable in all of the management options available and that way they can pick the best treatment suited for your scar. Often you will find that folks that do only laser tend to favor lasers and folks that do not have lasers claim that other methods are superior. If you see someone who is well versed in both, you will most likely get the procedure most beneficial to your type of scar. Judging from the picture, I would imagine this scar is particularly amenable to lasers. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar revision is the answer

+2

i would personally wait at least 3 more months in the hopes that it will become harder to see.  however, i would say that most likely a geometric broken line repair followed by dermabrasion would be ideal.  personally, i would have to see it but i would not dermabrade it as first choice since it makes the skin not as healthy for a formal scar revision.  now, the reason i say i have to see it in person in 3 to 4 months from now is that if it is really flat, then dermabrasion may be sufficient.  keep in mind dermabrasion will make it look like a strawberry burn for a week and that does not look anything like microdermabrasion.

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon