Saline, Silicone or the Style 410 “Gummy Bear” Implants?

I am in Grand Rapids, MI and researching doctors for breast augmentation. My head is starting to spin from all the information on these boards. I am looking for the most realistic and natural feeling breast, which implants will give me that? Saline, Silicone or the 410 Cohesive Gel "Gummy Bear"? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Saline or Silicone implants

+1

The most natural feeling implants that are currently available are the silicone gel.  The "gummy bear" implants are not available to the general public.  Also, the silicone gel implants are less likely to ripple which can be seen on the surface.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implants for Me?

+1

Usually, it is in the patient's best interests to meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person ( as opposed to online consultation)  for accurate advise;  these consultations may help avoid the “head is starting to spin” phenomenon.

Although impossible to generalize, most plastic surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.

On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.

Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.

Again, the best breast implant for you will depend on your physical examination and specific goals;  these  factors can only be evaluated during in-person consultation.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Saline vs silicone implants

+1

Silicone will give you a more natural look and feel with less rippling than a saline implant. That said, you need to be comfortable having a silicone gel implant in your body. The safety of these devices has been well studied. If you have a saline implant and the device fails, you will know it quickly as the implant deflates as the device fails. If you have silicone, you may not know you have a device failure right away. That is an entire discussion altogether. Most of my patients choose silicone gel implants. You need to have a discussion with your plastic surgeon about the pros and cons of each device type.

Web reference: http://www.breastimplantslongisland.com/silicone-vs-saline-implants.php

Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Implant type is a personal decision

+1

Saline versus silicone is a personal decision. They both give great results. Speak to a board certified plastic surgeon to go over your options.

Saline and silicone and gummy bears, oh my!

+1

So many choices can be problem for some, though there are different implants because there is a time and place for each. Try not to think as one better than another. If you have a soft and natural breast with good tissue cover, any soft round lower to moderate profile implant will blend and flow with your breast and give a natural 'enhancement' to breast size, provided the implant size was well matched. The reasons of saline or gel will take more to sort out, breast particulars, personal feeling about gel. See a couple surgeons in your area and get an idea of where you fit to narrow your focus.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Best breast implant?

+1

Each implant has advantages and disadvantages.  My recommendation would depend on your native breast tissues and your goals.  Generally saline implants can be a good choice for women with enough breast tissue to cover the implant.  In thinner smaller breasted patients, I recommend round smooth gel implants because of palpability issues.  Gummy bear implants primary advantage is in a patient who has some relaxation of her breasts but wants to avoid the scars associated with a breast lift. They can provide a shape to help push the nipple up more than a round implant.   Personally I believe that the gummy bears are too firm and resemble the firmness of the saline implants.  No one implant is the best.

Your plastic surgeon should help you decide what is best for you.

Good luck

Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Implant choices

+1

Gummy implants are not available for general use.  They are still under research protocol.  As for saline vs silicone it is really a personal choice. They are both safe and patients like each of the for different reasons.  I go over this in great detail on exam.