What Can I Do to Help Repair my Salivary Gland Excretions After Mini Facelift?

After my facelift 8 had excess swelling after eating. My doctor removed the excess and said that my gland must have been affected. I am now on medication but is this a fix? How long will it last.

Repair my Salivary Gland Excretions After Mini Facelift?

+1

Thank you for your question. Swelling can affect you from 6-12 months after surgery. The key is to not cause any inflammation., and allow you face to heal, and return to normal function gradually. Avoid chewing difficult foods. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

How to correct saliva collecting under the skin after a facelift

+1

There are many options for helping with this unfortunate occurrence:

1. Drain the saliva and use a pressure dressing. This is the most common and effective way of treating this problem.

2. Oral medications that reduce saliva secretions. This can be used in combination with the above. Can have some side effects though.

3. Botox injections have become an increasingly effective and popular way to treat this condition. Works quite well and easy to do. Best done after the saliva has been removed and drainage has slowed down.

4. Surgery to place Alloderm (cadaver skin) between the salivary gland and the skin. Reserved for extreme cases.

All the best to you and rest assured you should do well,

Dr. J

Kamran Jafri, MD

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Your problem may be related to a salivary gland that takes time to resolve.You may discuss treatment options with your surgeon in the unlikely event this does not improve.Give it some time.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Salivary Fistula After Facelift

+1

A salivary fistula after facelift can be treated with a number of methods depending on how quickly it resolves.  Many times repeat drainage of the collection and pressure dressings can get a small leak to resolve quickly.  Antisialagogues are effective in conjunction with this treatment to lessen the production of saliva.  Botox has also been shown effective in the treatment of salivary fistula, and usually will require repeat injections.  I suggest you follow up with your surgeon regularly to have your recovery closely monitored.  Good Luck  

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Saliva collection after mini-face lift

+1

I am sorry you have this problem after your mini Facelift. Most likely a suture has allowed saliva to leak from the parotid (main salivary gland) into the cheek. If the saliva flow stops, you should heal. These help: 

1. scopalamine patches and Botox injections dry up secretions, 
  2. pressure bandages and repeated removal of fluid avoid further irritation.

If fluid is decreasing, you should heal. It may take a few months.

If not, a sialogram (study of main parotid duct) is done to check if repair surgery is needed. Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Salivary fistula, excessive swelling, mini facelift

+1

There is peer reviewed literature documenting the dimishing production of saliva from the parotid gland after treatment with Botox.

Two to three injection sessions will usually correct this issue.

This has been my personal experience as well.

Please consult in person with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making any treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Parotid Leak after Facelift

+1

If your doctor has placed you on an antisialagogue (reduces saliva), that is a good treatment.  Botox can be used as well or in combination.

Salivary Fistula

+1

Hi Legal Eagel 1954

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing excess swelling after eating.  There are new treatment involving neuromodulators such as Botox and Dysport injections into the parotid gland that can help reduce hypersalivation or excessive spit production. Of course, you would need an in-person evaluation by a physician to determine the nature of the swelling after eating and whether a neuromodulator injection is right for you.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

There are two possible explanations for a swollen Salivary gland after a Face Lift.

1. The salivary gland remains intact but the salivary duct is temporarily blocked as a result of dehydration and lack of fluids related to surgery and the immediate post-op recovery.  This is often bi-lateral and IMHO occurs very rarely.  I have never seen one of these in my 25 plus years of performing Face Lifts.
  2. The Salivary gland and or duct was cut during the Face Lift and saliva extrudes into the facial tissues causing an abcess or salivary fistula (leaking saliva out of the skin or into the mouth).  Intermittent drainage of the saliva with a needle and syringe with compression of the area can often resolve the issue.  An examination of the salivary glands and ducts can be performed by an ENT surgeon to determine the issue and prescribed treatment.  Hope this helps.

Salivary Fistula After Minilift

+1

Parotid fistulas are very rare after Facelift.  After initial drainage, the parotid gland can be effectively treated with Botox to reduce salivary flow.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon