How Can I Help Reduce Swelling 4months After Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had revision rhinoplasty 4months ago and still have swelling and a very stiff nose. While it's getting better I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help the swelling go down faster, exercise?? When I have any alcohol, it swells. When I wake in the morning, it feels swollen. It's still difficult to "twitch"/move it. Just feels tight overall. I just saw my PS two weeks ago, and he says things look good. But I'd like to help swelling along as I am getting married in June 2013.

Can I do anything to help reduce swelling after revision rhinoplasty?

+2

With swelling following rhinoplasty, the best thing you can do is be patient. The final result is not usually evident for 18-24 months following surgery. 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first three months and the remainder goes down over time. In general, revision patients can experience greater swelling. Thickness of the patient's skin, and whether or not tip work was performed are also factors that influence swelling. I would recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon, and mentioning the possibility of steroid injections to help with swelling if necessary. Kenalog mixed with 5-Flourouracil yields a great result. By June of next year, your swelling will be improved. I hope this helps, and best of luck with the remainder of your recovery! 

Remedy for Swelling After Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

I might suggest you talk to your revision rhinoplasty surgeon about possibly taping the nose at night to help control some of the swelling. This is a relatively benign intervention that might prove fruitful for you. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Sorry, but swelling goes away on its own. It will exacerbate with activitiy, but really tincture of time is the only remedy. Sorry.

Swelling after revision rhinoplasty

+1

This is a very common question. Unfortunately there is not much you can do. The healing process after a revision rhinoplasty is slow, and with thicker skin may even take longer.

Compression exercises  and skin tapping , in my opinion, don't have an impact on the recovery. Steroid injections may be used sparingly for a specific problem area, if there is one.

Patience.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon