Post Op Swelling or Pollybeak? (photo)

Hello. I'm 6 days post op from closed rhinoplasty of nose implant & nose tip reduction. I'm not sure it is swelling or the starting of pollybeak deformity on my tip and I'm so worried. When I gently place a finger tip over it for 5-10 seconds, it does seem to go down a little but comes back up after that. I would appreciate your advice! Thank you!

Pollybeak deformity after rhinoplasty can be corrected.

+1

Hi.

Of course it is much to early to make any definitive judgement. You will know for sure in four months.  But I am not optimistic.

6 days post-op is too soon to judge the appearance of your tip after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

Your supratip area appears a bit puffy, and it may be best to observe this for another month or two. If it does not reduce by your next post-operative visit, you can ask your surgeon if he thinks a dilute triamcinolone acetonide injection may be helpful. Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Persistant Bulbous Tip

+1

Hi,

This looks more like a persistant bulbous tip. However, 6 days after rhinoplasty is a little early to tell. You may want to consider kenelog injections at about the 3 to4 week mark. Talk to your surgeon about it.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Pollybeak or Swelling

+1

It definitely looks a little high, but you are very early in the healing process.  For now, you need to have confidence in your surgeon and make sure he feels that he sufficiently reduced the dorsal septum during your procedure.  Kenalog injections help in this area but impede the healing process.  So, usually I wait until a month or so after surgery before injecting it.  The supratip is characteristically the very last place where the swelling comes down and can take many months.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Poly beak

+1

It looks mainly to be normal postoperative swelling.  The fullness of your tip will go down with time.  In some cases like yours I have injected the tip with a steroid preparation after a few months and that often helps reduce the swelling and thickness of the nasal skin.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Swelling after Rhinoplasty is Normal

+1

Relax.  You are early in your rhinoplasty healing. Conventional wisdom is that complete rhinoplasty results take up to one year to be realized.  Also, remember that the tip and supratip areas are some of the last areas to reveal refinement. 

Be Patient.  I expect that you will see dramatic improvement in these areas in 3 to 4 weeks time with incremental improvement after that.  I only perform closed rhinoplasty.   I have performed hundreds by this approach.  By 2 to 3 weeks, I frequently take pictures for the website.  Give yourself a little more time.