Help please with lower eyelid surgery~ not sure if I am experiencing something I should be worried about!

15 days ago I had lower eyelid surgery, along with CO-2 laser.  The red under my eyes has almost disappeared, that is not the problem.  My eyes are still bloodshot and the inside corners are very red.  I am using sterile drops, sleeping a bit elevated, etc. The left eye lid is a tiny bit retracted which the Dr. said is still healing and a bit swelled. I don't look freakish, but wonder when I can stop with the discharge, the bloodshot eyes, etc.  I go back again in 10 days, what should I be asking?  

Blepharoplasty with laser resurfacing

+1

It sounds like you are recovering on schedule. Sometimes I have my patients apply moist ice cold compresses to their eyes for 30 mins. two or three times a day to help decrease the red color and drainage from the eyes. Steroid drops are for the more severe cases of chemosis. Your plastic surgeon will let you know when to start wearing sun screen and make up.

Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Chemosis After Blepharoplasty

+1

Your description of signs and symptoms sounds a lot like postoperative chemosis; only an examination can provide more specific information.  Resolution with time and supportive measures is the normal course of events.  Frequent ocular lubrication, often combined with mild steroid drops can help the process resolve more quickly.  Close contact with your Surgeon for further information and reassurance is the best plan.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid swelling 2 weeks post op

+1

You may be experiencing some degree of chemosis which is swelling of the conjunctival sac.  Also if there is any bruising of the lids sometimes this gets under the sclera of the eye.  It is just a loose soft tissue plane.  Neither of these issues is dangerous or abnormal.  If it gets worse you may require ophthalomologic steroids or wetting drops. It the condition does not get better in a few days then you may want to see your surgeon. 

Blood Shot Eyes Post Blepharoplasty

+1
The problem you are experiencing is most likely chemosis. That's when there is some bruising and blood trapped below the thin lining of the eyelid and eye.  It usually goes away with time after surgery but in severe cases topical steroids and drainage may be required.  I would discuss further with your surgeon.  Best wishes on your recovery

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Bloodshot eyes after blepharoplasty

+1

When considering your eye irritation, the first thing to be clear about is that if you have any change in vision, increase in redness/discharge, or pain in your eye you should see your surgeon or an ophthalmologist sooner than the 10 days. If it is simply bloodshot eyes, hopefully it will begin resolving soon. Everyone is different in the time it takes for that to fully disappear. It is possible that the drops you are using are irritating a bit, so you might try a different brand. Otherwise it sounds like you are doing the right things and it may just take some time for the swelling to go down and for your lids to soften so that the retraction has stopped before your eyes will return to normal.

Shannon O'Brien, MD

Passed on what you are describing, you sound like you are right on track.

+1

The reality is that is does take time to heal from these surgeries.  I am always concerned about lower eyelid retraction.  However, you are saying that it is minimal, then really all you are asking about is how long will it be before everything essentially goes back to normal.  While we often quote 10 to 15 days, what we really mean is 10 to 15 days before people stop asking you what happened.  Generally it is more like 6 to 8 weeks before the swelling is gone to the point were you forget to think about the fact that you just had surgery.  I am not really sure at this point you need to follow the advice of getting an outside opinion.  I would recommend continuing with prescribed medications until advised to stop by your treating surgeon.

Post lower eyelid surgery

+1

without an examination it is hard to totally answer this question, but sometimes irritation from the incision made inside the eyelid to remove the fat can either irritate the eye causing the redness, you can have a mild infection, or some residual inflammation. if you are not getting the answers you want and are concerned see your eye doctor (ophthalmologist) or return for a visit to your surgeon before the 2 weeks. the proper eye drops can assist clearing this up.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon