What Are my Options for Addressing Shape of Bridge and Bulbous Shape of Nose? (Photos)

Hello,I am a nineteen year old male and for quite some time now I have been dissatisfied with the appearance of my nose. My main dislike of it is the shape of my bridge. I really feel it throws off the harmony of my face. I was wondering if straightening it would make me have more of an appealing look? Also, I am biracial (black/white) so I have somewhat of a bulbous nose. The size of it is really noticeable when I smile. Is it recommended that I get it refined? How can I make it look natural?

UPDATE: New Photos, Last 2

Rhinoplasty for bi-racial or ethnic nose

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs. It is recommended that you wait until you're facial growth is complete certainly after 18 years before having rhinoplasty.

Standard open rhinoplasty technique can certainly narrow the nasal bones reduce the dorsum and refine your nasal tip.

Cartilage grafting will be required to support and refine your nasal tip and the cartilage is usually harvested from your nasal septum. In some cases the alar cartilages can be narrowed but this requires an external incision, can reduce breathing, and I rarely do it.

Be sure to consult a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in correcting the ethnic nose.

What Are my Options for Addressing Shape of Bridge and Bulbous Shape of Nose?

+1

From the photos, the nasal bridge could be reduced and the nose thinned with a closed Rhinoplasty by breaking the bones inward.

Nasal contouring

+1

your desire to feel at ease with your facial features is justified.  i use conputer imaging to help the patient define a goal.  i prefer a surgical technique with no external excisions.  your tip and bridge can certainly be modified to a more pleasing shape.

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broad bridge

+1

Rhinoplasty can definitely address your wide bridge. You will need to have some tip refinement as well to remain in balance withyour new bridge and profile. It is important that you discuss with your surgeon how much of your ethnic identity you wish to preserve so you are not over reduced.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

You should get a great result from your rhinoplasty. You have the basic issues of a dorsal bump and wide tip, but overall nothing weird or difficult. Go get a consult from a good rhinoplasty surgeon oin your area and enjoy.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Rhinoplasty Options

+1

You have many rhinoplasty options  but need a thoughout evaluation of both the aesthetics and functional aspects of your nose.  Luckily you live in an area with many good surgeons.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump and bulbous tip

+1

It s very clear that you are understand your problem and what exactly you need to improve, the pictures you added is not enough , we need profile and inferior veiw of the nostrils. Your expecation has to evaluated properly after a complete assessment of the nose.

I think you might benifit from hump reduction and infracture to correct the size and the nose. Add to that, a complete work on the nasal tip and the ala,  and all depends on the thickness of your skin and the intraoperative finding. but definitly you will be helped by proper rhinoplasty.

Fatema S. Alsubhi, MD
UAE Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous nose treatments.

+1

Hi,

It seems from your pictures that you may also have a small hump on the bridge, but it is difficult to tell without pictures take from the profile view.

From the pictures you have posted, and your concerns, I do beleive you will have a favorable outcome with rhinoplasty that is specifically aimed at narrowing your bridge and tip.   The tip is narrowed using a combination of trimming the upper portion of the tip cartilages, and using sutures to help reshape the rounded portions of the tip cartilages.  Often, alar base excision, or Weir excisions can be added to help narrow the nostril base.  The general guideline is to narrow the width of the nostrils to approach the width of the space between the eyes.

Behrooz Torkian, MD

Try imaging!

+1

Yes, rhinoplasty can help with these concerns. It is important to choose a surgeon with experience with ethnic noses. Computer imaging is a great tool to communicate with your surgeon about your goals, and to get realistic expectations of results. Computer imaging also lets you "try on" a nose to see if changes fulfill your goals. Good luck!

J. Charles Finn, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon