What Would Help Make my Nose Fit Better with my Face? Update (photo)

This is a follow up to my first question. I have attached some better pictures of my nose so I can get better feedback. Make-up free and crazy hair, can't get realer than that. Hopefully these pictures are better.

Original question: https://www.realself.com/question/help-my-nose-fit-my-face

"I've always been self-conscious about my nose for as long as I can remember. I love the side profile of it, but when straight on I feel my tip is bulbous and my nostrils spread wide when I smile. I don't know if I'm 100% sure about rhinoplasty, but I just wanted to know what would be done to make my face look better. Also, is there any other surgeries that should be done? Thank You"

Would a rhinoplasty indicated?

+2

This is a very personal decision, but a rhinoplasty would refine your nose, eliminate the bulbous tip, give you an elegant supratip break and reduce your nasal width.  If this is what you are after, you should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Best wishes!

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Many ethnic patients have the same rhinoplasty desires as you do.. The bulbous tip can be altered to be more refined and the width can be narrowed. The best way to see potential results is to have a computer imaging of your nose. This will show the before and after. When considering rhinoplasty make sure you choose surgeons with experience in ethnic rhinoplasty.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and flaring nostrils

+1

Its important have realistic expectations and goals when undergoing a rhinoplasty with thick skin present in the tip. Thick skin will blunt some of the surgical changes  Performed on the cartilage of the tip of the nose.  It also important to have realistic expectations that the nose will still widen upon smiling after a rhinoplasty procedure, but  will have a  more narrow starting point.

What Would Help Make my Nose Fit Better with my Face? Update

+1

Thanks for re posting better photos! But you really need to start with IN PERSON consultations. Over the internet is only an initiation to obtaining cosmetic surgery. The IN PERSON consult allows the doc to examine the areas and determine a plan of treatment. 

Rhinoplasty for flaring nostrils

+1

Thank you for reposting with good quality photos and referring to your previous post which had photos that were not helpful.

Your photos show a deficient bridge (bone deficient more than cartilage), a large round tip, a wide nostril base, asymnmetric nostrils (the left smaller than the right). The usual approach would be bridge augmentation with cartilage or an implant, narrowing the nostril base and suture reshaping of the tip cartilages with tip cartilage grafts to address the round tip. The nostril base narrowing would require that more be removed from the right than the left in order to improve your nostril symmetry.

Sitting down with your surgeon for a computer imaging session can help you decide between bridge and tip work vs. only tip work.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Expectations for a rhinoplasty

+1

You would be a reasonable candidate for a rhinoplasty involving tip support with a columellar strut graft, support of the nasal dorsum and possibly a reduction in the width of the nostrils.  A consultation with a plastic surgeon will answer your questions about what is possible.  

Rhinoplasty?

+1

If you are unhappy with the appearance of your nose, it is best to go for a consultation and tell a surgeon what you do not like about it.  It might be amenable to surgery.

What would help my nose?

+1

You certainly can achieve some tip narrowing and refinement as well as nostril narrowing with rhinoplasty if that is your goal. A consult with computer imaging may help you better articulate your wishes and visualize a possible outcome that you would be comfortable with.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon