Help! Why is my Mid Bridge (Cartilage) Still SO Swollen 5 Weeks After Open Rhinoplasty-ONLY Had Tip Work Done? (photo)

My mid bridge is bigger than my tip and it makes my nose look very odd. you can see the outline of my upper lateral cartilage when I smile. I am 5 weeks post op. it was an open procedure but only tip work was done! Is this normal? How do I know if this is swelling or my new shape? My nose tip was very bulbous before, Surgeon trimmed Lower lateral cartilage and tip cartilage.

Nasal bridge also swells during tip rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your question. As others have stated it is normal to have swelling of the area above the tip when only a tip rhinoplasty is done. This swelling should be decreasing somewhat by 6-8 weeks, but may take 3 months. Be sure to see her plastic surgeon and express your concerns. In some cases the upper portion of the nose may also need to be narrowed.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-rhinoplasty-nose-surgery/

Help! Why is my Mid Bridge (Cartilage) Still SO Swollen 5 Weeks After Open Rhinoplasty-ONLY Had Tip Work Done?

+1

Dear Ella,

Thank you for your question.  Still when doing work on just the tip, more than just the tip is disected.  This is in order to get better exposure to the tip.  Because the entire area is disected, it will swell. It takes 6-12 months for this to subside.  Posting before and afters helps a lot in the discussion.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

+1

Even though only tip work may have been done; the entire nose will swell.  Discuss with your surgeon.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Mid bridge swelling and tip

+1

Eventhough you jus had tip work, the entire skin envelope is usually elevated thus creating swelling in all areas of the nose.

Tip Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for the question and the photos. The open rhinoplasty approach is a great tool for precise changes in the nasal tip. However, as part of this approach, the soft tissue is elevated up to the nasal bones.  Though the majority of the swelling that results goes down in a couple weeks, the rest can take a few weeks or more.  In some cases, massage, taping, or small injections of a steroid can help it along.  If these things don't work, make sure to see your surgeon often or seek a second opinion.

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscofacialplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Help! Why is my Mid Bridge (Cartilage) Still SO Swollen 5 Weeks After Open Rhinopla

+1

Again only 5 weeks post! But why the open technique for a tip platy?? Thus your healing would double in time. Also the posted photos are barely adequate to advise. Seek IN PERSON second opinions. 

Swelling after Open Rhinoplasty

+1

Dont worry, it is completely expected to have swelling at this point, particularly if an "open" approach was used.  The most important thing to remember is that you will not see your final result for 9-12 months.  It is very reasonable to discuss these concerns with your Plastic Surgeon at your earliest convenience.

+1

If only tip work was done, it is reasonable to expect that other areas should return to preoperative state with time.  Open rhinoplasties usually have a longer period of swelling, and I would give yourself at least 6 months to a year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php