My dr recommended the new sientra textures anatomical implants in 400cc. Would other Doctors also recommend this for me? (photo)

I'm 5'5, 125 lbs with a petite yet athletic figure. I've nursed two babies and now barely fit in an A cup. Are the newly approved textured anatomical implants a good fit for me? What are the chances of rotation?

Sientra shaped implants are a good option

+2
Based on your photos, I believe the shaped implants are a very good option, but you can have a nice result with either.  For many women with similar breasts, it comes down to whether they want more fullness on top, or a more "natural" look.  The chances of rotation are slim, as the implant pockets are dissected in a very precise manner based on the dimensions of the implant and breast.  There is not a lot of "dropping" afterwards like there is with most round (smooth) implants.  Obviously, get opinion(s) from plastic surgeons who use shaped implants in addition to the round implants.  One downside to the shaped implants is that they are slightly more expensive.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Anatomic Gel Implants

+2
Sientra is the youngest of the existing three breast implant companies. They seems to have good products as far as anatomic gel implants are concerned. 

I personally do not see the need for an anatomic implant in most breasts. Reasons 1. The breast already has most of its fullness in the lower pole.  Why would you want to add most of the volume to the lower parts of the breast.  It tends to be the top that is deficient in volume. 2. An anatomic implant can rotate in the breast pocket.  Since it is not symmetric in shape, like a round implant, a turning of the implant would cause mis-shaping of the breast. If that happens, you will need surgery to reposition the implant.  That said, the rough surface of the implant is meant to reduce the possibility of a rotation. 3. A round implant takes a tear drop shape when in the upright position. That is less risk for a similar result.

While I will stick to the points I have made above, I have used the Sientra anatomic implants and did like the results. But, the issues are as I mentioned above. I hope this helps.

Ramin Behmand, MD

Sientra Breast Implants

+1
Hi Lucy7,
I already know you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon because Sientra only sells to BC plastic surgeons (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who are members of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). So that is great!  I guess from you photo, I don't see a lot of extra skin on the lower breast that would personally make me think of an anatomical.  By that I mean a "shaped" implant.  Chances of rotation are very low because the texture of the Sientra's is very adherent.  Here is the idea:  Recently approved by the FDA, Sientra (Silimed Corporation) silicone shaped implants are now available for use in the United States. These implants have been used extensively in Europe and South America for 33 years of safety, quality and patient satisfaction. They have round implants (with or without texture), and also shaped implants which can provide a nice "tear-drop" shape for women who want a very natural and "athletic" look. All the best in your decision, "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Textured Anatomicaly Shaped, Highly Cohesive Silicone Gel Breast Implants

+1
First, congratulations on your decision to move forward with your breast augmentation! That is a big decision. You have obviously chosen to see a board certified plastic surgeon as Sientra will only sell to those surgeons.

The textured anatomical implants that are made by Sientra are excellent. A recent study shows that, among the highly cohesive silicone gel implants, the Sientra comes out with the highest marks. In addition they provide the best warrantee in the industry that includes implant replacement in the first two years if you get a capsule contracture. Sientra also has the largest selection of sizes and shapes of anatomically shaped implants in the industry. With all of that said, your surgeon has picked a great implant that should work very well for you.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Sientra shaped implants are good for patients with tight breast tissues

+1
You appear to have relatively tight , youthful breast tissues - see a board certified plastic surgeon to assess if the Sientra implant is right for you.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Sientra anatomic textured implants may be a good choice for your 5 ft 5 in 125 lbs frame.

+1
Unfortunately, it is impossible to tell you which implants would best accomplish your goals for breast enhancement after pregnancy (mommy makeover) without an in depth consultation and physical exam. It is critical that you understand the look you are trying to achieve and that after a careful physical examination your board certified Plastic surgeon agrees that your breast skin and soft tissue, chest wall and nipple areola position will look best with the implant that you collaboratively choose. This preoperative sizing experience during your consultation is a key component to your preoperative visit so that you are comfortable with your final implant chose. Good luck!

Laurie Casas, MD

Tear drop shaped implants

+1
Anatomic, or teardrop shaped implants have been around for years.  They tend to come and go in popularity.  I see no advantage to them and, as you mention, they can orate leaving you asymmetric.  I prefer round implants in cosmetic cases such as yours.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

My dr recommended the new sientra textures anatomical implants in 400cc. Would other Doctors also recommend this for me?

+1

Seems like an acceptable option in your case. But over the internet very hard to be sure since we can not do an in person examination.. 

Anatomic vs round implants

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs.  I think you would do well with either a round or shaped device.  It really comes down to personal preference. A shaped device will not be as full in the upper pole of the breast and will give a more "natural" look.   There is always some risk of rotation, so your surgeon needs to be very careful and precise with the dissection of the pocket.  Also, the shaped implants are more expensive than the round devices. 

Some women will not be happy with the shaped devices because they are  not as full in the  upper pole and the result envisioned by the patient is different than what is achieved after surgery.  You should make sure you are comfortable with your decision before proceeding with surgery. Go back and talk with your surgeon again if you have any questions. Good luck!

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Implant Sizing

+1

Different surgeons have different preferences as per implant type.  I think you would do just fine with a natrelle silicone gel implant.  In terms of sizing, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS