Scheduled For Mommy Makeover and Gained 7lbs From Quitting Smoking?

i'm 39 y.o. 5'3 and 164lbs am i to heavy?

Scheduled for mommy makeover and gained 7lbs from quitting smoking?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a breast augmentation where the viability of the skin/tissue, and nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences including blood clots. The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

+1
Congratulations on quitting smoking!!  You have achieved an amazing breakthrough for you for the rest of your life.  Do not worry about the 7 pound weight gain from this event.  It should not negatively effect your surgery and the benefits of quitting smoking are far more beneficial to you overall and specifically for your surgery.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

I gained weight after I quit smoking should I still have surgery?

+1

Thanks very much for your question.  Congratulations on being able to stop smoking.  Weight gain of 7 lbs should not significantly affect your outcome.  It is far better to be a few pounds up for your procedure than have your procedure done while you are actively smoking.  Good luck.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Weight Gain before Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your ability to to stop smoking. If you are 7 pounds above your long-term stable weight, I think that you will do just fine with the planned “mommy makeover” procedures.

Best wishes, hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedures performed.

Weight loss and mommy makeover

+1
Quitting smoking is the best thing you could have done to improve your outcome. I like to see patients at a stable weight prior to major surgery. fluctuations of 10 to 15 lbs are not unusual and are acceptable. But if you are more than 15 lbs above a stable weight you can maintain, consider loosing the extra weight prior to surgery for a better result.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover, weight gain, smoking cessation

+1

Your success at quitting smoking is more important to your outcome and recovery than the small weight gain that has resulted from it. Seven pounds is really not that much. My advice to patients prior to surgery is that they attain a stable, healthy, sustainable weight. 

Fluctuation of a few pounds is fine but it will be important to maintain  your weight over the long term. Changes to diet and exercise programs can be helpful. And don't be afraid to seek help from a personal trainer or other expert if you are having difficulty; you don't want to lose the hard-won benefits of your makeover.

Best of luck, PB. 

Peter Bray, MD

Mommy Makeover, Weight, and Smoking

+1

The fact you quit smoking is fantastic. This is much more important to your health and healing than gaining  some weight. Tummy tucks do have risks associated with the operation. These include scars, wounds, and delayed healing. Smoking increases all these!  Stopping smoking could not be more important.

Now, don't start smoking again. The famous author Mark Twain once said,"Quitting smoking is easy to do. I've done it hundreds of times!"

Try not to ever restart. Good luck with your operation!

Christopher Saunders, MD
West Chester Plastic Surgeon

7lb weight gain prior to Mommy Makeover.....

+1

Dear Joanne,

Congratulations, you have done your body a world of good by quitting smoking. Keep up the good work, as it is essential that you maintain your 'quit smoking' status until 6 weeks after the surgery. By that time, you will be over both the mental and physical addiction, and this will help your healing immensely.

The 7 lb weight gain is acceptable, I tell my patients that if they are between 10-15 lbs of their ideal weight, then they are fine to proceed with their Mommy Makeover.

Best wishes for a positive outcome.

Cory Goldberg, MD

Am I Too Heavy?

+1

Thank you for the question. I cannot imagine that 7 lbs would make you inoperable. The most important thing is that you were able to quit smoking. This will help you in your healing from the surgery. 

Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Scheduled For Mommy Makeover and Gained 7lbs From Quitting Smoking?--Too heavy

+1

If your surgeon thought you were OK at 157, I cannot imagine that would change at 164. Your surgeon would much prefer 164 and no smoking  as compared with 157 and smoking!!!

Best of luck with your upcoming procedure. Thank you for your question. Best thing you can do for yourself now is to stay off the smoking, now that you have gone through the toughest part.