Help! Need to Heal Open Wound

I had my breast reduction on 4/5 and had this nasty open wound come under my left breast approaching 5 weeks post op. I am doing wet to dry dressing 2x daily and on an antibiotic every sic hours. PS says it will heal but how long? Very frustrating and when will I see signs of healing?

Breast reduction open wound....hang in there!

+2

While it is hard to estimate exactly how much longer it will take for your wound to close, I can assure you that it will close!  Keeping it clean and somewhat moist will promote healing.  First you will notice that the fat will be covered by more of the pinkish-red tissue that is now present around the margins of the wound.  Once the entire wound is covered with this pinkish vascularized tissue, the size of the open wound will start to decrease more rapidly.  Stay in close contact with your surgeon.  If progress stalls, it may be time to change your dressing routine but as long as you and your surgeon are seeing progress, hang in there!  You'll be surprised how well it will heal.  Our bodies are truly amazing!

Soft tissue loss after breast reduction can lead to an open wound that will heal by itself with good care.

+1

Occasionally, wounds can occur after breast reduction as shown in the picture. Almost all of these will close over time with proper wound toilet.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm

Open wound after Breast Reduction

+1

Hello and thanks for your question

Sorry to hear about your wound breakdown. Unfortunately it is not uncommon in breast reduction especially in large reductions. The wound looks clean and it will heal. It will take abut 6 weeks. The end result will be good, you just have to be diligent with dressings and cleaning the wound as you have been so far. If you think all this is too much, you can speak to your PS about a negative pressure wound dressing also called VAC therapy. It is a dressing connected to negative pressure that constantly sucks on the dressing. It keeps the wound clean and the swelling in control and speeds up the shrinking of the wound and hence wound closure

Hope this helps

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction wound

+1

The cause of this wound was likely poor perfusion of the edge of the flaps, which is very common in breast reduction surgery, especially after a large reduction.  Now that the flaps have demarcated, it may be possible to close the wound with sutures to shorten the healing time.  Discuss this option with your plastic surgeon. 

Web reference: http://thomassenplasticsurgery.com

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Open Wound after Breast Reduction?

+1

I'm sorry to hear/see the complication you have experienced after breast reduction surgery. Although understandably frustrating, you can rest assured that the wound will go on to heal with ongoing dressing changes. This process may take several additional weeks. Most importantly , continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who will be in the best position to “adjust course” depending on clinical findings.  For example, sometimes minor debridement procedures and/or removal of unnecessary sutures may help expedite the healing process.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Open wound after breast reduction

+1

This is not uncommon after a breast reduction.  Sometimes this is a problem from yeast, not bacteria.  You might ask your plastic surgeon about Nystatin or Diflucan treatement.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Wound healing may take several more weeks

+1

The wound in the pictures provided appears to fairly clean and healthy. While not tremendous, this is not a small wound and will take some time (on the order of several more weeks) to heal. Initially it may not seem that the wound is getting smaller, as it will first get more shallow. Eventually you will begin to notice that the opening is getting smaller and the healing will appear to accelerate until the wound is closed. Since the wound may require some additional care throughout this process, it is important that you continue to keep in touch with your surgeon until the wound is healed.

Scarsdale Plastic Surgeon